Fresh figs are plentiful in the summer, usually finding their way to produce shelves from June to September. The fiber-rich food, which has been shown to have a positive effect on weight management, makes a great, diet-friendly dessert.
This recipe is excellent served over non-dairy ice cream or sorbet. It's also delicious as a topping for pancakes or waffles.
- 2 pounds fresh figs (about 24 small figs)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/3 cups almonds, slivered
- 1/4 cup sweet white wine (i.e. reisling or dessert wine)
- Wash and trim figs; slice in half.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add cinnamon and cardamom.
- Saute figs in oil for 6 to 7 minutes, until they start to turn tender.
- Add almonds and white wine, saut?ing for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve warm.
Perfect your nutrition to boost your performance. Sign up for a race near you.