Health is about taking care of yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually. Planning ahead is key: planning appointments, planning time to workout, and planning meals
Fuel your body with well-planned, healthy, nutrient dense foods that also taste great. Meal planning does take some time, but once it is created, you do not even have to think about it. Plus, you don’t have to stop for fast food, or eat the same boring meal each night.
More: Turn 5 Main Ingredients Into 25 Dinners
Here are some tips to help you plan healthy meals that will not cost a fortune
1. Map out your week.
Know which nights you will be working late, what appointments you have, and what night your child has practice. Once you know what you week looks like it will be easy to fit meals into your schedule.
2. Check coupons.
See what sales are in the paper so you can plan your meals off of this.
More: 9 Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget
3. Keep your freezer organized.
Label and date whatever meals or food items you have saved. Use what you have to help plan your meals for the week.
4. Use a few main items in various ways.
Keep both lunch and dinner in mind. Here are some examples:
- Ground Turkey Meat. This same healthy, protein can be used to make turkey chili for dinner one night, lunches the next day, turkey tacos, and turkey burgers.
- Chicken. Prepare chicken breasts to be used in stir fries with brown rice and vegetables, grilled chicken parmesan, or homemade chicken salad served with crusty bread.
- Eggs. Make a savory baked egg dish with spinach, feta, and garlic. Serve it with a salad. This could last three nights and eggs are very inexpensive.
More: Making Smart Choices on the Cheap
- Pantry Items. Chick peas and beans are a great protein source and can easily add bulk to salads, healthy canned soups, and make great side dishes.
- Side Dishes. Buy frozen vegetables to create a side dish in two minutes. Brown rice can be made in bulk on cooking day, or purchase the microwaveable bags for simplicity. Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins and can be prepared in the microwave in five minutes.
More: 6 Guilt-Free Pasta Recipes
- Quick Meals. Grilled paninis can come together in minutes, English muffin pizzas with vegetables are kid-friendly, and Greek salad wraps are unique and healthy.