National Peanut Butter Day is January 24th! Peanut butter is cholesterol free and an excellent source of protein. Runners love peanut butter because it’s full of fat, protein and fiber, and releases energy slowly into the blood stream. This makes peanut butter a great pre-run fueling choice. Many runners swear by a winning breakfast formula of bagel, peanut butter, banana and coffee.
In honor of National Peanut Butter Day, I'm going to share with you one of my favorite snacks, Peanut Butter Chia Energy Bites. These tasty little snack balls are fun to eat, easy to make, and will give you the lift you need to make it through your next long run. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Chia Energy Bites
Total Time: 15 min
Ingredients1 cup oats
2 T chia seeds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 T vanilla
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, chia seeds, shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips, and wheat germ.
- Stir in the peanut butter, honey, and vanilla until well combined.
- Roll into small balls and place on parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and then store covered in the refrigerator.
Recipe by Tina Saltmarsh
- The Runner's Recovery Smoothie
- How Coffee Can Boost Your Running Performance
- Runner's Fuel: Healthy Minestrone Soup
Find your next race.