This classic Italian soup is made with fresh vegetables and whole grain pasta. Minestrone soup will nourish your body with healthy carbohydrates and proteins to feed your tired muscles. As the cold wintry weather creeps in, enjoy a warm savory bowl of this hearty Minestrone soup after your next run.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 small-medium onions, diced
2-3 stalks of celery, diced
3 small carrots, diced
2 medium zucchini, chopped
2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of crushed tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
1 can of kidney beans
1 Box of whole grain short noodles
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (optional)
1. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for five minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and stir around for 30 seconds.
2. Add the zucchini, oregano, basil and salt and pepper. Cook for five minutes.
3. Add all the tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the can of kidney beans and let simmer.
4. In a separate pot, cook the short noodles to al dente.
5. To serve, ladle a scoop of pasta into a bowl, then top with 2-3 ladles of soup. If you desire, top with a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese and serve with soda crackers.