The Test:Do as many chinups as you can in 3 minutes
Rules:1. Begin in the hanging position, with your feet off the floor.
2. For a rep to count, raise your chin above the bar and then lower yourself until your arms are straight.
3. Set whatever pace you prefer. Rooney's advice: When you're about to fail at a rep, rest 20 to 30 seconds. Then do sets of 1 or 2 reps in order to avoid working your muscles to complete failure.
How You Did:19 chinups: Below average
20-29 chinups: Average
30-39 chinups: Good
40-49 chinups: Excellent
50 or more: Extraordinary
If you struggled...
Uncover nine secrets for bigger, stronger muscles—and follow this routine:
1. Raise your chin above the bar, hold for 10 to 20 seconds, and lower. Do this 3 to 5 times. Once you can stay up longer than 20 seconds, add weight: Hold a dumbbell with your legs or wear a weighted vest.
2. Try negatives: Start with your chin above the bar, and then slowly lower yourself. Take 5 to 10 seconds. Complete 3 sets of 5 or 6 reps.
3. Use Rooney's improvement plan (below). Perform the routine once a week for 4 weeks. Then take 5 days off and give the test another try.
Week Sets Chinups Rest between sets
1 4 6 2 min.
2 5 6 90 sec.
3 4 8 1 min.
4 4 10+ 1 min.