The plank is one of the best exercises to strengthen your core, which is more than just your abdominals. The core is a complex series of muscles that includes your entire body, minus your legs, head and arms.
Various plank exercises challenge all the major muscle groups and stabilizers, improve strength, and prevent injury. The plank is 100 percent excuse free, meaning no equipment, machines or special apparel are required. All you need is a little motivation, direction and structure to reach your goal.
Tighten your torso, flatten your abs, and improve your strength with the 30-day plank challenge.
The 30-Day Plank Challenge
Every day for 30 days you will time yourself as you hold a plank and side plank. You will progress through various levels of intensity to challenge your body as it develops strength and muscular endurance. Here are your options:
Regular Plank Tiers
- Level 1: Static Knee Forearm Plank
- Level 2: Static Forearm Plank
- Level 3: Static Single-Leg Forearm Plank
- Level 4: Dynamic Elbow to Wrist Plank
Side Plank Tiers
- Level 1: Static Knee Side Forearm Plank
- Level 2: Static Low Side Forearm Plank
- Level 3: Static Single-Leg Side Forearm Plank
- Level 4: Dynamic Side Forearm Plank With Hip Dip
How The 30-Day Plank Challenge Works
- On day one, you start with the level that works best for you. Hold the plank for as long as you can maintain good form. This will be your benchmark time.
- Each day thereafter, you simply hold the plank longer. A great goal is to hold it for 5 to 10 seconds longer than the day before. When you reach 90 seconds, and your form is still perfect, then it's time to advance to the next level of the challenge.
- Once you reach level four, simply focus on moving through the dynamic moves for as long as you can. Focus on the endurance of the exercise to keep your body challenged.
- Record your level and your times on your daily tracker so you can easily measure and review your progress.