Maybe it's because they don't fit into a perfect category, but these often-overlooked items are some of the most essential things you should put in your daypack.
- Lip balm
- Insect Repellant
- Matches (if you don't include them in your first aid kit, be sure to put them somewhere in your pack)
- Multi-tool or knife
- Map, route description or guidebook
- GPS or Compass (and the skills to use it)
More: 7 Hiking Essentials
The Fun Stuff
These may not be essential items but they can come in handy.
- Trekking poles
- Plant or animal guides for the area
- Toilet paper (Plus a small plastic bag to carry it out)
For everything that you must remember to bring from your hiking checklist, there's one thing that you should always leave behind: a note. Make sure someone knows where you're going and when you expect to return.
Find a Campground at ReserveAmerica.com.