Red Lentil and Black Bean StewHere is a healthy recipe by Jessica Girdwain, from the Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Ultimate Recipes for Fueling Up and Slimming Down While Enjoying Every Bite (Rodale, 2013).
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed; half mashed with a fork
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and paprika, and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and tomato paste. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the lentils. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Add the black beans (both whole and mashed), lime juice, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the cilantro.
Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information (Serving size: 1 cup): 248 calories; 38 g carbs; 10 g fiber; 14 g protein; 5 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat); 542 mg sodium.
More: Red Pepper Bisque Recipe