The reality is that not everyone is on Facebook and/or Twitter. Here you can have the experience without having to go online. For more, go to www.DietDetective.com, or go to Facebook.com/DietDetective or Twitter.com.
1. Just because you're not sick doesn't mean you're healthy.
2. When trying to lose weight, be sure to have a very clear reason why. Without one, it is easy to make excuses.
3. Plan ahead. Most restaurant menus are available online, so figure out what your healthy meal is going to be before you go.
4. Fast food is OK. There are low-calorie options available at most places, but learn what they are and decide to order them before you go. Look on the Web and make your choices before you get there.
5. It's your meal; order it your way. Many restaurants will prepare foods the way you want them. All you have to do is ask.
6. Beware of salad sabotage. The great health values of salads can be ruined by high-calorie dressings, croutons and sugary fruits. Always ask for low-cal dressing on the side.
7. Don't be a Diet Hero. Get unhealthy temptations out of your house and out of your life for good.
8. Don't just make reservations, make a plan. Eating out is not the best way to lose weight, but when you do go out, call ahead. Find out what healthy items are on the menu and whether the chef will prepare foods to fit your needs.
9. Special order: When you're at a restaurant, don't be afraid to ask your server for special requests. You don't need to be embarrassed. After all, you're the one who will suffer from an unhealthy diet.
10. Healthy living is about compromising, not conforming. You don't have to order what everyone else is ordering. You're living your own new healthy life, and you need to do it your way.
11. Quick grocery tip: Shop the perimeter of the store. Most stores keep their freshest and healthiest items around the outside.
12. Use power, not willpower. Willpower is temporary; power is eternal.
13. Don't pass up the frozen and ready-to-eat foods. There are great healthy and tasty options in the frozen-food aisles these days. This can be your new, faster fast food.
14. Eat more naturally fiber-rich foods. They contain more water, so you can eat a lot more food for fewer calories. Plus, you'll stay fuller longer.
15. Healthy living is a family affair. Your family needs to be aware of your new life choices and agree to keep unhealthy foods out of the house.
16. It's important to look inside so that you can change the outside.
17. It takes 50 minutes of biking to burn off the calories in just one doughnut. Think before you eat.
18. It takes two hours of walking to burn off the calories in just one blueberry muffin. Think before you eat.