Kale is a versatile vegetable. You can blend it into smoothies, saut? it with olive oil and garlic, roast it until it forms crunchy chips, or toss it into salads, such as this one.
The trick to taming kale's bite and texture is to "massage" the leaves with the vinaigrette.
- 10 ounces Tuscan kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 medium beets, peeled, cooked, sliced
- 2 small pears, with peel, sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
More: Baked Kale Chips
1. Place the kale in a large salad bowl.
2. Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, orange peel, black pepper, roasted garlic and tarragon in a small dish.
3. Toss dressing over kale, mix dressing into kale leaves with hands to combine well.
4. Toss in beets, pears and hazelnuts.
Makes 8 Large ServingsMore: Savory Shitake Bowl With Kale and Brown Rice
Perfect your nutrition to boost your performance. Sign up for a race near you.