The following recipe is great example of a balance between healthy fats, lean proteins and quality carbohydrates.
Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
3 cups elbow macaroni
1/2 cup diced onions
1 tablespoon canola oil
Pinch ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 quart 2 percent milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, about 8 ounces
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
12 ounces cooked lobster meat, chopped
1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
1. Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
2. Preheat oven to 375?. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with canola oil.
3. In a large saucepan, saut? onions in canola oil until translucent. Add cloves, black pepper and bay leaf.
4. Mix cornstarch with milk in a large bowl. Add to onion mixture and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper and vinegar. Add cheeses and stir until melted. Remove bay leaf. Stir in lobster and macaroni and mix gently.
5. Pour into baking pan and top with bread crumbs. Bake for 25 to 20 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown. Cut into 12 squares.
Makes 12 servings, each containing approximately:
28 gm. carbohydrate
10 gm. fat
48 mg. cholesterol
18 gm. protein
541 mg. sodium
1 gm. fiber
Canyon Ranch pioneered the evolution of wellness lifestyle and has been an industry leader for 30 years. Lead by a team of expert physicians and other health and wellness specialists, Canyon Ranch operates the world's most celebrated collection of life-enhancement properties with the goal to inspire people to make a commitment to healthy living.
Chrissy Wellington is co-author of Navigating the Supermarket: A Nutritious Guide to Shopping Well. To pick up a copy of her book, please visit willpowermatrix.com/public/120.cfm.