The off-season: my time of year to have fun. It's the time I make up for the many nights I find myself exhausted, in soft pants at 7 p.m., catching up on SVU, and eating a Power Bowl. That's what an eight-hour training day will do to you.
In December "days off" refer not to days when I don't train, but days when I don't have holiday parties to attend, shows to see, bottles of wine to share with friends, and run Beer Miles (yes, I did that).
On these days off, I like to keep my meals healthier and low maintenance, but still festive and seasonal in the case of an impromptu dinner party.
These roasted mushrooms are my go to – I love the way they make the house smell just as much as the way they taste. I usually serve them with pasta, but also use them as a bowl or salad topping.
Roasted Mushrooms with Rosemary and Thyme
- 8 ounces (approximately 2-3 cups) sliced mushrooms. For ease, we use packages of "gourmet mushroom blends" like this one.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 3 thyme sprigs, plus 1 teaspoon thyme leaves removed from stem
- Sea salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place mushrooms on a large sheet pan (or two smaller ones). Drizzle with olive oil and toss.
3. Spread mushrooms out in one layer on the pan. Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Place herb sprigs evenly on top of the mushrooms.
4. Cook for 10 minutes. Discard herb sprigs.
5. Transfer cooked mushrooms and any liquid released in cooking to a bowl. Toss in thyme leaves.
Roasted Mushroom Pasta
- 8 ounces (about half of a standard box) of pasta
- Roasted Mushrooms (recipe above)
- 1 4-5 ounce container of baby kale, roughly chopped
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- Grated pecorino cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. With under 1 minute to go in the cooking time, toss in the kale.
2. Drain the pasta, reserving about ? cup of the cooking liquid. Return pasta to the pot, add 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, roasted mushrooms, and reserved cooking liquid. Toss to distribute mushrooms and kale.
3. Serve in pasta bowls topped with walnuts and cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Find more healthy recipes.