It's really hard to find fresh, gluten-free donuts. You may be thinking, what is an athlete doing combing neighborhood cafes for donuts? Well, why not? As long as it's not an everyday splurge, you can just have one. And, after a hard morning workout, I can justify any treat!
Since I haven't found any options for the gluten-deprived in my neighborhood, I made my own. For the price of two artisan donuts, I bought a donut pan at Bed, Bath & Beyond and used a classic Athlete Food recipe, Carrot Banana Bread, as the base. The result was a nutrient-dense cake donut. And, yes, I had more than one.
Gluten-Free Glazed Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix a batch of Athlete Food Carrot Banana Bread batter using gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Lightly grease donut molds with coconut oil and fill each until batter just reaches the top. Be careful not to cover the hole. Wipe up any extra batter that doesn't make it into the donut shapes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the donuts cool, make the glaze.
- Once the donuts cool, dip the each in the bowl of glaze individually, making sure to coat the top half. Optional: Sprinkle with chopped nuts before glaze sets.