Fuel your morning—and day—the right way. A healthy breakfast is the foundation athletes need to survive their training sessions and boost performance.These foods are packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and anti-inflammatory properties that fuel our active lives and help us run like well-oiled machines. In fact, new research suggests that a plant-based diet can fuel athletes and provide the protein, iron, zinc and other nutrients necessary for health and optimal athletic performance. The trick is to plan your plant-based meals appropriately. If you follow a vegetarian, or more specifically, a vegan diet, the goal is to aim for a variety of plant foods to reap all the health rewards of a plant-based diet. Fuel up for your race this season with a plant-based breakfast. You'll hardly miss the bacon, eggs or processed pastries if you're gearing up for training with these two recipes.
- 1 3/4 cups plant-based milk, unsweetened, plain (i.e. almond or soy milk)
- 1 1/3 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
- Heat milk to lukewarm (99- to 113-degrees Fahrenheit)
- Mix flour, yeast and warm milk in a medium bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let rise for 30 min.
- Mix melted margarine in with batter, stirring well.
- Heat a waffle griddle and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 cup batter over griddle and cook over medium setting until done. Repeat to make all waffles.
Makes 8 waffles