Are you stressed out? Overwhelmed? Are you also wondering why you're not losing weight? It could be a buildup of Cortisol in your body. It's a hormone in the body called "the stress hormone".
Cortisol is responsible for several stress-related changes in the body. Small increases of cortisol have some positive effects:
- Boosts energy for survival reasons
- Heightens memory functions
- Bursts increased immunity
- Lowers sensitivity to pain
- Helps maintain homeostasis in the body
However, prolonged stress may create negative effects, such as:
- Impairs cognitive performance
- Suppresses thyroid function
- Causes blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
- Decreases bone density
- Decreases muscle tissue
- Highers blood pressure
- Lowers immunity and inflammatory responses in the body
- Slows wound healing,
- Causes other health consequences
- Increases abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body
It is important to learn relaxation techniques such as journaling, exercise, yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation.
Find a quiet space and just breathe. Whether it's 30 seconds or five minutes, it can be incredibly effective to clear the brain.
Stay on track with a fitness plan.
Madeline Romeo is a Certified Personal Trainer and Corrective Exercise Specialist. Based on her years of experience, Madeline has created a 3 Workout System to Get Fit and Toned DVD. Train for 30 minutes a day, three days a week. "Learn how your body works while getting results." www.fitnessroots.com