Are you stressed out? Overwhelmed? Are you also wondering why you're not losing weight? It could be a buildup of Cortisol in your body. It's a hormone in the body called "the stress hormone".
Cortisol is responsible for several stress-related changes in the body. Small increases of cortisol have some positive effects:
- Boosts energy for survival reasons
- Heightens memory functions
- Bursts increased immunity
Lowers sensitivity to pain
Helps maintain homeostasis in the body
However, prolonged stress may create negative effects, such as:
Impairs cognitive performance
Suppresses thyroid function
- Causes blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
Decreases bone density
Decreases muscle tissue
Highers blood pressure
Lowers immunity and inflammatory responses in the body
- Slows wound healing,
- Causes other health consequences
- Increases abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body
It is important to learn relaxation techniques such as journaling, exercise, yoga, breathing exercises, and meditation.
Find a quiet space and just breathe. Whether it's 30 seconds or five minutes, it can be incredibly effective to clear the brain.
Stay on track with a fitness plan.