Whether it’s a way to challenge your heat threshold, test your sanity or sweat out unwanted toxins, registering for one of these rides will bring some fun (or pain) in the sun.
Tour de Big BearAugust 5, 2017 — Big Bear Lake, Calif. 1 of 10
A century ride around one of California's most scenic lakes, Tour de Big Bear offers advanced cyclists more than 7,000 feet of climbing. Oh, and you have to do it on one of the Northern Hemisphere's hottest days of the year.
Bike to the BeatAugust 5, 2017 — Appleton, Wisc. 2 of 10
As its name suggests, some tunes will accompany you on this hot ride through beautiful Appleton, Wisconsin. You can choose routes of 10, 20, 36 or 48 miles, and each route comes equipped with food stations complete with live music.
Ledge View Escarpment Bicycle TourAugust 6, 2017 — Chilton, Wisc. 3 of 10
Sometimes, charity hurts. And if riding 100 miles on this insanely hot day helps the beautiful, 105-acre Ledge View Nature Center upgrade their hands-on displays and improve their animal upkeep, then you shouldn't think twice about registering for this ride.
Chattooga CenturyAugust 6, 2017 — Summerville, Ga. 4 of 10
Riding 125 miles through the rolling mountains of North Georgia is one way to ensure you get that burning sensation caused by sweat dripping into your eye. Just make sure to bring plenty of water and sunblock.
Tri-County Triangle Trail Cookie RideAugust 20, 2017 — Frankfort, Ohio 5 of 10
Is riding 100 miles in the sweltering summer heat worth a cookie once you cross the finish line? You bet it is. Fortunately, this ride, which features several SAG stations with scrumptious cookies awaiting hungry bellies, includes routes of 14, 21, 36, 50, 75 and 100 miles.
Le Tour de RoanokeAugust 21, 2017 — Roanoke, Va. 6 of 10
For those who prefer a more leisurely ride during this hot summer month, may we suggest this five-miler through the historic city of Roanoke, Virginia? Oh, and these measly five miles will take you 2.5 hours, as you'll stop at the city's best restaurants to sample some delicious cuisine.
Rampart Rager 100August 26, 2017 — Colorado Springs, Colo. 7 of 10
With 80 percent of the route on dirt and the other 20 percent paved, you'll want to bring out your gravel grinder for this brutal 63-mile ride. And, since it's in Colorado, would you want it any other way? You'll also get to swing by some of Colorado Springs' best sites, including Garden of the Gods and the U.S. Air Force Academy.
Three Rivers CenturyAugust 26, 2017 — Bozeman, Mont. 8 of 10
You can bike for bikes at this 12th annual century that gives cyclists spectacular views of Big Sky Country. All proceeds benefit Bike Kitchen, a non-profit that promotes bike advocacy and provides bikes to those in need. And you won't have to sweat too much for this charity ride, as the average high is a comfy 78 degrees.
Stow Bike for the WoodsAugust 27, 2017 Stow, Mass. 9 of 10
Whether you want to cycle an easy five miles with the kiddos or you want to challenge yourself with a metric century, the Stow Bike for the Woods has it all. And don't forget to cool down with the ride's now-famous self-serve lemonade stand—the perfect remedy for a hot summer ride.