Not only do kids need to eat often to fulfill their unique energy and nutrient requirements, but Kids who go to bed hungry don't sleep well. A nutritious snack can be an important part of their bedtime routine. Here are some quick and healthy treats that your child can eat before going to bed.
Quick & Easy Bedtime Snacks:
Plan your child's snacks 45 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime. This is a great way to kick-off your nightly bedtime routine.
- Whole grain bread with nut butter and low fat milk
- Fruit smoothie (favorite yogurt--flavored or plain, fresh or frozen fruit and milk)
- Yogurt with fruit (fresh, frozen or canned)
- Fruit (fresh, frozen or canned) and string cheese
- Whole grain crackers and cheese
- Graham crackers and applesauce
- Whole grain cereal and low fat milk
- Oatmeal made with milk--heat up your child's favorite flavored oatmeal (apple cinnamon, cinnamon sugar--blend with low fat milk and serve--makes for a nice winter time snack)
- Bedtime Bars (see recipe) and low fat milk
- ? cup Baking Mix
- 2 cups Oats, Instant
- ? cup Nut Butter (Peanut or Soy)
- ? cup Cinnamon Applesauce (unsweetened)
- ? cup Honey
- ? cup Raisins
- ? cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line or lightly grease 9x9 inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl stir together baking mix and oatmeal until well blended. In small bowl, stir together nut butter, applesauce and honey until well blended; Add to baking and oatmeal mix. Stir until well combined. Add raisins and chocolate chips. Mix until well blended. Press dough into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cool about 20 minutes. Cut into bars. Yield: 10 bars
To learn how KinderCare Learning Centers can deliver a true educational advantage for your child, call 1-877-KINDERCARE or visit www.kindercare.com.