While many people went to the beach or swam in the pool over Memorial Day weekend, I spent three days in an RV. No, not at a campground like you might think. I was in a parking lot outside my daughters' dance recital. With more than 21 performances lined up over the three-day weekend, including four father-daughter dances, I figured, "why go home?"
More: Top 8 Parks for Kids
As you can see, being active is a part of my family's lifestyle. Being president of Jazzercise, Inc., you could say dancing is in our DNA. Both my daughters have grown up dancing and doing gymnastics and after watching my husband, Chad, and daughters, Skyla and Sienna, dance together in the recital, I realized that moving together is creating fond memories that will last a lifetime.
As a family, it's important to keep moving throughout the year. Make it fun! Your kids will be happier and healthier for it.
5 Family Time Activities
- Go on a family bike ride: This is a perfect form of exercise for adults and kids of all ages! If you have little ones, load them on the bike trailer.
- Walk the dog or another family pet: Let the children take turns holding the leash.
- Walk to a nearby park or playground: Just playing on the jungle gym is a great form of exercise.
- Dance: Play freeze dance. Dance every time the music comes on and freeze every time it goes off! Mix it up and have your kids dance like different types of animals every time the music comes on.
- Get outside and play: Play ball outside or set up an obstacle course in your yard using hula hoops, jump ropes, Frisbees, chairs, water balloons and other household items. Make it fun and be creative.
By keeping it simple and picking the activities your family loves to do, your kids will realize that fitness can and should be fun. That's a valuable lesson that will last a lifetime.
Find a family-friendly activity.