We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Wednesday, December 15, 2021.
The Lifesaving Society's Bronze Cross begins the transition from lifesaving to lifeguarding and prepares candidates for their responsibilities as assistant lifeguards. Candidates strengthen and expand their lifesaving skills and begin to apply the principals and techniques of active surveillance in aquatic facilities. Bronze Cross emphasizes the importance of teamwork and communication in preventing and responding to aquatic emergencies. Endurance swim of 400 meters in 11 minutes is required for successful completion of this level.
Successful participants receive the Bronze Cross and Lifesaving CPR C awards.
100 % attendance and participation are required.
Prerequisite: Bronze Medallion (participants must provide Bronze Medallion card to the instructor the first day of class)
Next Lifesaving Level:
- 15 years of age: Lifesaving - National Lifeguard (NL)
- 16 years of age: Lifesaving & First Aid Instructor Course (LSI)
Participants must give prerequisite to the instructor the first day of class.
*Bronze Medallion Card*
Manuals required for the course (available at the pool):
- Canadian Lifesaving Manual - approximate cost $ 45.00
- Bronze Cross Workbook
- 1 CPR pocket mask with a 1-way valve
- 1 whistle (recommended Fox 40)
- 6 pairs of latex-free gloves
- 2 roller gauzes
- 5 triangular bandages
- 10 gauze pads
- 1 golf pencil
- 1 silver mylar blanket.
Awards are mailed to successful participants by the Lifesaving Participants will be required to complete an endurance swim of 400 meters in 11 minutes for successful completion of this course
100% attendance and participation are required
Prior to attending your course, please review the current COVID-19 screening tool found at www.gov.mb.ca and call 311 if you are unable to attend your course as scheduled.
You will be required to wear a mask to enter civic facilities and your mask must be worn throughout this course (with exception to demonstrating in water activities and CPR resuscitation on a mannequin).
Please adhere to a 2m separation between yourself and others while in civic facilities.
The following health and safety precautions have been taken for the in-person attendance requirement of all courses:
- Separate entrance and exit points have been established for facilities hosting in-person courses
- Sanitization stations will be available on-site and Covid-19 questionnaires to be verified to have been completed before entry to classroom (and access denied for anyone answering “yes” to any of the questions).
- Sanitizing of shared supplies will be completed in between each use
- Sanitizing & cleaning of certification room and contents (i.e. tables, chairs, etc.) within this room will be completed prior to the next scheduled use of the room
- Sanitizing & cleaning of high-touch surfaces within facility will be completed several times daily
Please maintain a 2-meter (6 feet) separation between staff and patrons whenever possible; limit close encounters to less than 10 minutes (not applicable to people living together in the same household)
Please arrive dressed to swim; access to showers, lockers, washrooms will be reduced and cleaned frequently, as will public spaces
EKP - Middle - Lane 3 at Elmwood Kildonans Pool
To Be Determined