We're sorry, but this class is over. The last meeting was Monday, June 7, 2021.
Surface Decoration with Underglazes
During this class, we will focus on surface decoration on hand-built forms using a variety of techniques; including underglazes and glazes to build complex surfaces. Hand-building is a historic technique that involves creating forms without the use of a potter’s wheel, using your hands and simple tools to form complex shapes. We will use templates, press and hump molds, and other hand-building techniques to make functional forms.
Historical and contemporary ceramic images will be used for inspiration throughout the class.
You will have access to Jerry Bennett’s online training videos which will cover the making of paper clay. We will begin with simple forms and work towards more complicated forms to decorate. We will then experiment with various decoration techniques including underglazes to add unity to the forms through surface decoration.
We will be working online during this class. Participants in the hands-on workshop will receive handouts that will provide valuable information about paper clay, glaze/ underglaze formulas, and supplier information. If clay is needed, please contact the Wayne Art Center. If you are from the area, you can fire your pieces at the Wayne Art Center.
Class tuition includes your first bag of stoneware clay as well as glazes and firing fees for coursework completed in class.
If you are out of the area, the instructor will sent underglazes to you.
Jerry Bennett is currently an active studio artist in the Philadelphia area and runs the Two Rivers Studio. He has been an Adjunct Faculty at Holy Family University in Philadelphia for many years. He received his M.F.A. from Indiana University at Bloomington Indiana in 1975 and has given workshops and lectures in many colleges, schools and art centers throughout the USA and recently was the leader of the Second International Paper Symposium in Kecskemet Hungary. For additional information please visit www.jerrybennett.net
This is an online 7 week course running from 4/19/21 - 6/7/21. There is no class on 5/31/21.
During the session, you can schedule your finished work to be fired at Wayne Art Center. The final firing is to be scheduled during the final week of class. If you do not have any clay, please contact the Wayne Art Center to pick up a bag of clay to make your paper clay.
Before coming into the studio, students are required to complete a daily health screening. If a student is unable to complete the health screening, a parent or guardian must complete it for them.
Please remember that masks are mandatory, keep a minimum of 6 feet away from others, wash your hands frequently, and do not touch your face. Hand Sanitizer is only effective three or four times in a row, then proper hand washing is a must!
If you or a family member is not feeling well, please let us know, and do not come into the studio. We will get through this together.
By clicking the 'Add to Cart' button, your are agreeing to our Video Conferencing Guidelines.
Guidelines for Video Communication
1. Remember that any audio/video communication may involve two-way camera and audio usage. This means that the instructor will need to see students’ work and speak with them about it, and may also be able to see and hear what is occurring in the student’s home.
2. Do not make audio or video recordings of lessons. Without the permission of the instructor, Wayne Art Center and other lesson participants, this may be illegal.
3. Do not provide access to the lesson to anyone other than the registered participant.
4. Maintain the confidentiality of other students if you or your child are participating in a group lesson. All individuals participating may be able to see and hear what is occurring in your home, including what everyone is wearing, just as you may see and hear what is occurring in their home.
5. If that makes you uncomfortable, you are encouraged to set the video conference up so that only the student is visible, sitting in front of a wall.
6. Wayne Art Center reserves the right to make audio and video recordings of all lessons. Any such recordings will be the sole property of Wayne Art Center, and may be retained, used, or disposed of in its discretion, subject to applicable laws.
*Registration for a class is for one participant. If you have more than one person participating from your household please register them each individually.
2020-2021 Adult Membership
or 2020-2021 Family Membership
or 2020-2021 Senior Membership
or 2020-2021 Friend Membership
or 2020-2021 Supporting Membership