Straight from the grass courts of Wimbledon, the ATP World Tour travels to Newport, Rhode Island to compete in the Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, an ATP 250 event.
The only pro tournament held on grass courts in North America, the player field offers a week of top-level tennis, as top Americans Sam Querrey, Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent and defending champion Rajeev Ram all compete for the Van Alen Cup and $442,500 in prize money.
Hosted in one of the most charming stadiums on the ATP tour, the event offers great views of the action and a festive summer atmosphere, including a Fourth of July Celebration with youth tennis clinics, museum tours and qualifying tournament. The six-acre complex offers 13 grass courts, one clay court and three award-winning indoor hard courts.
The International Tennis Hall of Fame is truly distinguished from other sports venues and museums because, in addition to hosting professional tournaments, the courts are available for public play and virtually every historic tennis champion has graced its legendary grass courts.
In conjunction with the tournament, the International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum will host the annual Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Saturday, July 10. The Class of 2010 honors some of the most remarkable doubles players in the history of the game, along with two individuals who were instrumental in shaping the history and growth of tennis.
The 6-hour live television broadcast of the tournament is expected to be seen in every major market domestically reaching more than 65 million potential households. The international broadcast reached more than 60 million potential households in more than 100 countries around the world.
About the Tournament
- Main Draw: 32 singles, 16 doubles
- Qualifying Draw: 32 singles
- International Tennis Hall of Fame, Newport, Rhode Island
- July 5 - 11, 2010
Featured Players for 2010
- Sam Querrey
- Santiago Giraldo
- Alejandro Falla
- Olivier Rochus
- Rajeev Ram
- Nicolas Mahut
- Mardy Fish
- Taylor Dent
History of Tennis in Newport
The history of tennis in Newport is synonymous with tennis in America. Since 1881, when American tournament tennis began on the grass courts of the Newport Casino, the world's best players have competed in Newport, the cradle of American tennis. Newport has witnessed each new generation of tennis stars from 1881 to the present.
In 1915, the U.S. National Lawn Tennis Championships moved from Newport to the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, New York. However, the world's foremost players continued to play in Newport at the Newport Casino Invitational. From 1915 to 1967, the Casino Invitational hosted the world's premier players. The list of tennis stars that played and won at Newport reads like a who's who in tennis- "Big" Bill Tilden, "Little" Bill Johnston, Ellsworth Vines, Frank Shields, Wilmer Allison, Don Budge, Bobby Riggs, Don McNeil, Gardnar Mulloy, Ted Schroeder, Bill Talbert, Pancho Gonzales, Frank Sedgman, Tony Trabert, Ken Rosewall, Mal Anderson, Rod Laver, Chuck McKinley, Roy Emerson, and Dennis Ralston.
The Professional Men's Singles and Doubles lasted from 1965 to 1970. In 1971, professional women's tennis finally came to Newport with The Professional Women's Singles and The Professional Women Doubles from 1971-74. Standing room only crowds watched Kerry Melville, Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, and Fran?oise D?rr play exceptional tennis. The Virginia Slims of Newport returned from 1983-1986. The National Amateur Grass Court returned from 1974 to 1976.
In 1976, the Miller Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, a stop on the ATP World Tour, debuted attracting many of the young talents on the men's tour.
In 2004, Campbell's Soup Company launched their title sponsorhip of the event, and continues to sponsor the tournament today. The Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championships is the only professional tennis tournament played on grass in the United States. Today, the tournament welcomes many of the game's rising players who make Newport an important stop in their careers.
About the Museum
The International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum is the largest repository of tennis information and memorabilia in the world. Its collection consists of a vast array of historical information relating to the sport of tennis and the individuals honored within the Hall of Fame.
The Museum encompasses over 20,000 square feet of interactive exhibits, momentous videos, and popular memorabilia of tennis champions past and present. The Museum's permanent collection alone contains over 16,000 objects.
Most recently, Nicolas Mahut made a donation of a shirt, shorts and one autographed sneaker, all of which were worn on the second day of the "Longest Match" between Mahut and John Isner. The items will be displayed in the Grand Slam gallery at the Museum, where they may be viewed by visitors.
The Library and Information Research Center has upwards of 5,000 books and periodicals; more than 4,000 film and video tapes in its audio-visual collection; 250,000 photo images, and an abundant collection of magazines, programs, periodicals, posters, and personal player memorabilia.
For tickets and additional information, call (866) 914 3263 or visit www.tennisfame.com.