NESS is an ocean adventure nonprofit organization. We engage students in experiential learning that builds confidence, teamwork, and leadership skills.
Our core values continue to guide our growth and the programs we provide:
- Experiential Learning: We actively engage students through doing, seeing, feeling, and inquiring for more-than-just-hands-on experiences that heighten learning.
- Personal Growth: We take students out of their comfort zones for transformational personal discovery and empowerment.
- Inclusiveness: We open doors to on-the-water learning and personal growth for all, regardless of financial means or intellectual or developmental abilities.
- Stewardship: We help foster connections between students and their communities and the natural environment to engender relevancy, respect, and protection.
For children, we offer opportunities for adventure, challenge, meeting new friends, and learning while having fun.
For parents, we offer children exciting outdoor adventures instead of “screen time,” small group classes for personal attention, and flexible half-day or full day programs with provisions for early drop off and late pick up.
For teachers, we offer engaging “hands wet” programming that supports STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) curricula.
For adults, we offer affordable opportunities to get on the water through instructional classes in sailing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, and marine science.
For donors, we offer opportunities to truly and immediately make a difference in the lives of underserved youth through impactful gifts supporting our innovative, award-winning programs.
NESS in a seashell, er, nutshell:
- NESS makes getting on the water incredibly easy and affordable. NESS is open to the community and owns lots of different types of boats, so there's no need to be a member of a private club or own your own boat to have access to the ocean.
- Scholarships open the ocean to everyone, regardless of financial means.
- Extensive program offerings allow all to feel welcome and fulfilled. Each program area – adventure sports, marine science, powerboating, and sailing – offers multiple ways to explore our local marine environment through fun, engaging classes that enforce ocean literacy principles.
- Dedicated, experienced adventure educators inspire and guide inquisitive minds.
- Convenient locations allow access to Long Island Sound's complex marine ecosystems.
- Land-based lab facilities and aquaria offer platforms for hands-on research and experiments.
- Strategic partnerships and outreach efforts mean NESS programs help even more students build skills they can use throughout their lives.
As an ocean adventure nonprofit, NESS is a fantastic place to learn, have fun, and build confidence, teamwork and leadership skills. We encourage you to find out more, sign up for classes, and contact us if you’re interested in supporting NESS. Thank you, and we’ll see you out on the water!