1.5 mile Swim and 7 mile Run
The 1.5 mile swim course begins at Alcatraz and finishes at the East Beach of Crissy Field located in the Golden Gate National Recreation Areas Presidio Park.
Wetsuits and hoods are strongly recommended as water temperatures are a chilly 55 degrees. Every year, several swimmers are unable to withstand the strong currents and chilly temperatures and are forced to forfeit at this stage of the race.
IMPORTANT: On race day, there will be an extremely strong current carrying you west. Strong means that if you jumped off the ferry and did nothing but float you would be swept 3 miles west to the Golden Gate Bridge within an hour.
The 7 mile run begins when the runners leave the transition area. The run course follows the Presidios popular Golden Gate Promenade, a dirt trail that winds its way along the San Francisco Bay. After about 1.25 miles and once past the Warming Hut and the Torpedo Wharf, runners make a sharp left, veering away from the water and up a set of wooden steps, along a dirt trail, through a brick tunnel and up onto the east span of the Golden Gate Bridge (about 400 feet of elevation gain in less than a half-mile). Crossing to Vista Point at the north end of the bridge, runners turn around and retrace their steps to the finish line.
Event schedule and times
Sunday, May 26, 2013
- 2:00PM - 6:00PM Packet Pick Up / Registration - Sports Basement Presidio
- 3:00PM - Free Training Talks - Topic "Alcatraz Swim" - Sports Basement
- 6:00PM - Free Training Talks - Topic "Alcatraz Swim" - Sports Basement
Monday, May 27, 2013
- 5:00AM - 6:45AM Packet Pick Up / Registration - East Beach of Crissy Field in the Presidio
- 8:00AM - Swim Start
- 9:30AM - Awards Ceremony Swim Only
- 11:00AM- Awards Ceremony Aquathlon