Kill That 5K sponsored by McFadden's
Fun Ruckin' and a good ol' Americana kind of vibe
Here's the deal:
- You wear a ruck aka backpack, and you pick the weight.
- Rucking makes you tough.
- Ruckers encourage each other.
- Nobody rucks alone.
Most 5Ks are lame cause they start too early in the morning and you don't meet anyone and you eat a banana and you leave. We believe Beer>Bananas so GORUCK 5Ks start in the late afternoon where you and your friends ruck to free beers and the greatest after-party in the history of 5Ks.
GORUCK is when you GO with your RUCK on your back and that's rucking. GORUCK as a company has produced over 2,000 Events to date, globally. Kill That 5K is our introduction to the sport of rucking.
Gear at the GORUCK PX (Post Exchange)
GORUCK has been building the world's toughest, most functional rucking gear since our founding in 2008. It's even a little known secret that we started out just a gear company, before we introducted Events or the sport of rucking. All GORUCK built gear is Built in the USA and comes with our Scars Lifetime Guarantee, so Ruck Hard.
The GORUCK PX (Gear store) will be on-site for all Racin' Events and the night before at Beer&Gear, a GORUCK style packet pick-up that's not lame like they usually are. Our kick-ass GORUCK-built Gear will be discounted up to 20% (additional 5% for active duty military and LEO's with ID) at the Beer&Gear Packet Pickup and at the Kill That 5K event.
The Patch You Earn
Cross the finish line and you've earned the GORUCK Kill That 5K patch. The arrowhead takes inspiration from Special Forces insignias and represents the accomplishment of completing a rucking event, and of encouraging others to do the same. Wear it with pride.
The Weight in Your Ruck Makes it Rucking
You pick the weight. Think of it as social fitness. Just don't overthink it.
Competitive Classes at Kill That 5K
If you wanna compete to get to the beers sooner, that's cool, too. It's called ruck racin' and no bananas await but prizes do, in addition to the free beer. There are competitive classes. It's called ruck racin' and no bananas await but special patches and prizes do, in addition to the free beer.
Weight Standards (Finish Line Weight):
- Female Competitive: 20 lbs
- Male Competitive: 30 lbs
- Elite (Male and Female): 45 lbs
Our National Charity Partner: Team RWB
GORUCK has partnered at the national level with Team Red White and Blue to support their mission of enriching the lives of America's veterans by connecting them to their community through physical and social activity. Kill That 5K fits the bill and GORUCK will donate $5 from every paid registration to Team RWB.
The GORUCK Kill That 5K in San Diego is sponsored by our friends at McFadden's. After the Beer Garden closes, meet us at McFadden's to keep the party going!
Event details and schedule
Kill That 5K - San Diego Schedule of Events
Friday March 6, 2015:
- 4:30 PM Packet Pick-up x Beer&Gear Opens // CrossFit 858
- 8:00 PM Packet Pick-up x Beer&Gear Closes // CrossFit 858
Saturday March 7, 2015:
- 3:30 PM On-site Registration, Packet Pick-up, Gear Tents Open // Ski Beach Park
- Pre-race weigh in if you want (we'll have scales available)
- 5:15 PM National Anthem/Emcee "Kill That 5K and get to the greatest after-party any 5K has ever seen" speech. Don't worry, it's short and awesome.
- 5:30 PM Kill That 5K starts (Competitive heats start first, in 5 minute increments)
- Competitive Elite Class M/F (45 lbs)
- Competitive Male Class (30 lbs)
- Competitive Female Class (20 lbs)
- Non-competitive/Fun Ruck and Kids Ruck Class (Any Weight You Choose)
- TBD You finish. You do not get a free banana. Instead you get your free beer because the Beer Garden was already open. Beer>Bananas.
- 9:30 PM Beer Garden closes. You're sad, and so are we.
- TBD You and your friends hit the town, probably with everyone from GORUCK HQ, including Monster. The party continues at McFadden's, so we'll see you there!
There is sufficient parking at the Park. Carpool if you can.
What to Bring
- Ruck AKA backpack
- Weight in your ruck
- Lighting (headlamp, night vision, whatever)
- Legal ID if you are 21 or older and plan to enjoy a beer after the race
- GORUCK 5K Patch that you earn
- $5 Donation to Team RWB
- 1 free beer if >21
- No bananas because Beer>Bananas
- Your participation in the greatest after-party any 5K has ever seen
Winners, Prizes, and Competitive Classes:
- 20 lbs Female
- 30 lbs Male
- 45 lbs Elite (M/F)
(All $ is GORUCK Gear Credit)
1st Place: Male/Female $200, Elite $250
2nd Place: Male/Female $100, Elite $150
3rd Place: Male/Female $75, Elite $100
This is not a chipped event. Chips don't let you race the person next to you, they force you to race against a clock and racing against a clock is not real ruck racin'. Real Ruck Racin' is this: your competitive class lines up together and may the fastest rucker win. Cross the finish line first, you're first place - it's that simple. You get your free beer first and you get the biggest prize. Just remember to keep it classy at the greatest after-party any 5K has ever seen with your 1st place patch on.
*There will be a clock onsite, visible to all. Or just ignore it and have fun.
Email email@example.com to become a sponsor.
Disclaimer: Routes are subject to change, due to unforseen issues with weather, road construction, or permitting requirements.