The Pisgah Monster-Cross Challenge is the premiere all-road event in WNC.
Participants are challenged to complete a 70 mile – 9,000’ climbing – loop of mixed gravel and paved roads. The riders will be treated to some of the highest elevation sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway and over 40 miles of the toughest gravel roads the Pisgah National Forest has to offer. This is a road racer’s dream endurance event where race tactics and strategy, along with overall fitness, proper gear selection, and luck are key to success.
There will be three Rest Areas along the way that will be stocked with water, food (PB&J, fruit, salty snacks, sweet snacks, bars), first aid, and neutral mechanical support. Riders may send drop bags to each Rest Area!
Event details and schedule
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Friday – 5:00PM-10:00PM – Registration and sign-in open.
Saturday – 6:00AM-7:30AM – Registration and sign-in open.
Saturday – 7:45AM – Participant meeting.
Saturday – 8:00AM – Event Start.
Saturday – 2:00PM – Raffle drawing (You do not need to be present to win)
Saturday – 10:00PM – Event cutoff.
1. Have Fun!
2. Riders must wear an approved cycling helmet at all times while on the bike.
3. Riders must burn FRONT and REAR lights at all times while on the bike.
4. Riders must complete the event on the bike they started on. No bike swaps during the event.
5. Riders may receive outside support within 100′ of official rest areas.
6. Riders may receive support from other PARTICIPATING riders at any time.
7. Riders must stay in single-file except to pass.
8. Riders must obey all local traffic laws.
9. The Race Director reserves the right to disqualify any rider for any reason deemed by race officials as unsportsmanlike or otherwise against the spirit of the event.
10. Rule infractions witnessed by Race Officials will result in disqualification.11. Rule infractions NOT witnessed by Race Officials must be reported by members of TWO SEPARATE teams to be considered.
12. Protest period ends 30 minutes after the final team returns or 10:30PM Saturday, whichever comes first. 13. SIGN-IN upon completion of the event (Please, this includes DNF riders).
Start/Finish will be in the field directly across NC276 from Davidson River Campground in Pisgah Forest, NC.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
From Asheville, North Carolina, take I-40 West to I-26 East to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
From Spartanburg, South Carolina, take I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
From Charlotte, North Carolina, take I-85 South to Gastonia and exit at U.S. Highway 74 West. Merge with I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
- We have very limited parking. Please consider leaving your car someplace other than the start/finish. For example, there are a few very large lots at the intersection of NC276 and NC280. We will also be directing half of all vehicles that arrive to the Ranger Station. Please be prepared for that possibility. Please show up early.
- We will be selling raffle tickets (2 for $5) good for a chance at winning a set of Industry Nine Torch Hubset. All proceeds will be donated to ASHEVILLE HUMANE SOCIETY. Please bring cash or checks.
- Drop-bags may be sent to each of the three rest areas. Please limit the size of your drop bag to a one gallon zip lock bag per rest area (approximately two large water bottles).
- All roads used in the Pisgah Monster Cross Challenge will be OPEN to vehicle traffic. Please use common sense. Stay to the right. Do not cut corners. Pass with care. Ride single file.
Sorry, No refunds.
This event is under special use permit with the U.S. Forest Service
START-> NC276-> FS475-> Indian Creek Road-> NC215-> Blue Ridge Parkway-> Rest Area #1 at BRP mile 419 (John Rock view overlook)-> Rest Area #2 at BRP mile 400 (Bent Creek Gap)-> FS5000-> FS1206-> Rest Area #3 at 1206/476 intersection-> NC276-> FS477-> NC276-> FINISH.