Teams of two riders will race to reach 4 of 5 checkpoints, in any order, and return to the start/finish. Teams that reach all 5 checkpoints will be awarded a time bonus. Checkpoint locations will remain secret until start-time and there is no suggested route. Routes will vary between 50-80 miles, will include 9,000-15,000 feet of climbing, and should take 7-14 hours to complete.
The Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race (PMBAR) will be held deep in the Pisgah National Forest, one of the most beautiful, rugged, and unforgiving areas in the nation. There will be little to no water or food support on course. Once you leave the start/finish you are on your own. There will be no drops, sag wagons, or other outside support available. Be prepared for any circumstances you may encounter including, but not limited to: medical emergencies, navigational errors, inoperable equipment, wild animals, and stinging/poisonous insects and plants.
PLEASE DO NOT UNDER-ESTIMATE THE EXTREME DIFFICULTY OF THIS EVENT.
We are looking forward to seeing old friends and new at the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race!
Event details and schedule
Schedule of Events:
Location: In the field directly across NC276 from Davidson River Campground in Pisgah Forest, NC.
1000 Pisgah Highway
Pisgah Forest, NC 28768
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
From Asheville, North Carolina, take I-40 West to I-26 East to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
From Spartanburg, South Carolina, take I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
From Charlotte, North Carolina, take I-85 South to Gastonia and exit at U.S. Highway 74 West. Merge with I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
Brevard area Lodging:
- PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE EXTREME DIFFICULTY OF THIS EVENT.
- We have very limited parking. Please consider leaving your car someplace other than the start/finish. For example, there are a few very large lots at the intersection of NC276 and NC280. We will also be directing half of all vehicles that arrive to the Ranger Station. Please be prepared for that possibility. Please show up early.
- We will be selling raffle tickets (2 for $5) good for a chance at winning a set of Industry Nine Torch WHEELSET. All proceeds will be donated to PISGAH AREA SORBA. Please bring cash or checks.
- Sign-In, Gear check, raffle sales, and Race start will be at the field directly across the street from Davidson River Campground on NC276 in Pisgah Forest, NC.
- Sign-in and gear-check will be open from 5:00pm-10:00pm Friday and from 5:30am-7:30am on race day.
- There will be a mandatory racer meeting at 7:45am
- The Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race will start at 8:00am
- RACERS MUST WEAR THEIR HELMETS AT ALL TIMES WHILE RIDING.
- Teams must carry ALL required gear during the race.
- All gravel roads used in the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race will be OPEN to vehicle traffic. Please use common sense while on gravel roads. Stay to the right. Do not cut corners. Pass with care. Ride single file.
- Raffle will be held at 6:00pm. You do not need to be present to win.
- The final cutoff is 10:00pm. Racers coming in after that time will be DNF.
- We will have burritos courtesy of Lucky Otter at the finish.
- NO REFUNDS
- Helmet. (1 per racer)~~~Racers must wear helmets AT ALL TIMES while they are riding their bikes. Uphill, Downhill, Gravel Road or Pavement. Racers not wearing a helmet while riding will be DQ’d.
- Rain Jacket (1 per racer)
- Water Filter or Iodine (1 per team)
- Emergency blanket (1 per racer)
- Timepiece (1 per team) ~~~Watch, cycling computer, telephone, any device with the correct time.
- First Aid Kit w/ Gauze, Tape, Ace Bandage, etc. (1 per team)~~~ Be prepared.
- Whistle (1 per racer)
- Lighter (1 per team)
- Compass or GPS unit (1 per team)
- Red ‘Blinkie’ rear light (1 per racer)~~~ Riders must burn a tail-light anytime they are on pavement or gravel roads, day or night
- Emergency Light Source (Flashlight, LED, etc.) (1 per racer)~~~ There is a good chance your team will be arriving at the start/finish after dark. Bring appropriate lighting to get off the trail.
- Pisgah Map. (1 per team) ~~~We will use the Pisgah Map Company, South Pisgah, 4th edition map for all trail names, off-map vs. on-map trails, and for all protests. We recommend you either have this map or are very familiar with the difference between it and your Pisgah map. You can purchase the map here: http://www.pisgahproductions.com/product-category/other-stuff/
- Bicycle. (1 per racer)~~~ You may not leave your bike behind. You must arrive at the checkpoints with all required gear including your bike.
This event is under special use permit with the U.S. Forest Service.