Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Recreation Center and Natatorium4141 Bailey Road Pearland, TX 77584
We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Friday, May 8, 2020.
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Blended learning combines online learning with in-person skills sessions where you will practice skills and demonstrate competency. Please plan to complete all eLearning modules, including the CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and First Aid final eLearning exam, at least two days prior to your first in-person skills session. Most participants complete the eLearning portion of the course in approximately 7 hours.
1. Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass both the Section 1-CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and Section 2-Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period:
Certificates will be emailed within 4 weeks of course completion and will be valid for two years.
The American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual will be provided during class but not issued. A free copy of the book can be found at http://www.editiondigital.net/publication/?i=95090.
RCN - Lane 24 (activity pool) at Recreation Center and Natatorium
RCN - Nat Meet Room at Recreation Center and Natatorium