Apple-Cinnamon, Steel-Cut Oatmeal1 of 7
2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk (or almond milk)
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
1. Coat inside of 3 1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker.
3. Stir, cover and cook on low for approximately 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary).
4. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Slow Cooker French Toast2 of 7
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups 1% milk, (almond or soy will also work)
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
9 slices whole grain bread
3 cups finely diced uncooked apple pieces (Honey Crisp or Gala are both great in this recipe)
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup diced raw pecans
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Add the first 6 ingredients to a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
2. Lightly spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Add all the filling ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir to coat apple pieces. Set aside.
4. Cut bread slices into triangles (in half, triangle shaped).
5. Place one layer of bread (6 triangles) on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add ? of the filling and repeat until there are 3 layers of bread.
6. Add the remaining filling to the top.
7. Pour egg mixture over bread.
8. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2 ? hours or low for 4 hours, or until bread has soaked up the liquid.
Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Frittata3 of 7
Salt and pepper
? cup?tomatoes?(chopped and seeded)
1/4?cup?yellow bell pepper?(chopped)
1/4?cup?reduced-fat cheddar cheese?(grated)
1. Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Stir the eggs and vegetables together in a bowl, then pour into the slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low for 1 to 2 hours until set.
4. Sprinkle evenly with grated cheese.
5. Cover and turn off the slow cooker. Let sit until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
6. Cut into 4 equal pieces.
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Gratin4 of 7
2 pounds sweet potatoes, sliced ?- to ?-inch thick on a mandolin
1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1? cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
10 large eggs
1 cup reduced-fat milk
? cup yogurt
1? teaspoons salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley or basil, to garnish
1. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread half of the potatoes in the bottom of the greased slow cooker.
2. Mix together the bell pepper, garlic, and ? cup of the Parmesan cheese. Spread this mixture over the potatoes.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, yogurt and ? cup Parmesan cheese. Season with the salt and a generous quantity of black pepper. Pour about half of this egg mixture over the potatoes.
4. Lay the rest of the potatoes on top in neat overlapping rows. Pour the rest of the egg mixture over the potatoes and top with the remaining ? cup Parmesan cheese.
5. Cover and cook 2 to 3 hours on high or 5 to 6 hours on low, depending on the slow cooker.
6. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or basil. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Slow Cooker Veggie Omelet5 of 7
? cup milk
? teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
? teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
? teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
1 cup broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Lightly grease the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder. Using an egg beater or whisk, beat until mixed and well combined.
3. Add broccoli florets, sliced peppers, onions and garlic to the slow cooker; stir in the egg-mixture.
4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Start checking at 1 hour 30 minutes. Omelet is done when eggs are set.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and cover; let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
6. Turn off the slow cooker.
7. Cut the omelet into 8 wedges.
8. Transfer to a serving plate.
9. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, chopped onions and fresh parsley.
Almond Cherry Coconut Granola6 of 7
5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raw, whole almonds
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup pepitas (unsalted hulled pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Place the oats, honey, oil, almonds and vanilla in slow cooker. Stir.
2. Leave uncovered and turn on high. Cook for 1 hour, stirring every 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and add coconut, pepitas and cherries.
4. Continued to cook on low uncovered for about 4 hours, stirring every 20 or so minutes.
5. The granola is done when it looks completely dry. Cool on baking sheets then store in an airtight container.