This spectacular spicy and sweet lemon-glazed chicken will make your taste buds sizzle--and studies show eating spicy food is good for you! It's become one of our favorite ways to make chicken. The skinny on this extraordinary dish is that it only has 312 calories and 9 grams of fat. Prepared the usual way it has 432 calories and 21 grams of fat. Plus, it's fast to make and furiously delicious.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 chicken breasts (4-5 ounces each), boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a shallow dish add the bread crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper and blend together. Dredge both sides of the chicken in the crumb mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, honey and Tabasco. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, cover and saut? until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the lemon and honey glaze to the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds until syrupy. Return cooked chicken to pan, flipping the chicken once to coat with the glaze.
- Remove from pan and serve.
Fact: Panko bread crumbs come from Japan. It's a type of crisp, light, large breadcrumb. Panko crumbs are typically used to coat foods for frying or saut?ing. They're coarser than most bread crumbs and create a crisper crust.
Healthy Benefits: Most of the healthy benefits of spicy food come from a compound called capsaicin. It's the ingredient which makes chili peppers hot. One of the most accepted claims is when you eat spicy food, it promotes sweating and opens the sinuses.
Just one squeeze of lemon contains a whopping 45 percent of your daily recommended amount of vitamin C. Lemons also contain calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Shopping Tip: Fresh peeled whole garlic cloves can be found at Trader Joe's and most supermarkets. They are packed in plastic bags and are convenient to use when a recipe calls for fresh garlic. Find them in the refrigerator section of the produce department.
Panko bread crumbs are available in most supermarkets in the Asian section. We found ours at Trader Joe's.
Serving Tip: Serve this chicken dish with our country fried potatoes and some fresh saut?ed spinach with garlic in a little olive oil.
Skinny Facts (per serving):
312 calories, 9g fat, 25g protein, 36g carbs, 0g fiber, 624mg sodium, 20g sugar
Fat Facts (per serving):
432 calories, 22g fat, 27g protein, 33g carbs, 1g fiber, 1219mg sodium, 20g sugar
About Skinny Kitchen: Delicious food can be part of a healthy lifestyle. Skinny Kitchen is about making small changes in your cooking to gain huge results. Find Weight Watchers recipes and more at SkinnyKitchen.com.