The Longhorn is back! Sunday April 24th 2022.
Choose 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon, 50k or 60k Ultra set in private areas of Sherwood Forest & the beautiful grounds of Thoresby Hall; a Grade1 listed 19th Century country house in north Nottinghamshire.
Running over old military roads, cleared tracks through ancient woodland and grassed paths around the country estate. The route includes a few hills to offer a small challenge around the course in the most scenic countryside & forest. The elevation is noted on the downloadable course map.
Nothing looks more beautiful than the sunlight streaming through the leaves in this natural area of beauty. We have devised a race that takes you into Nottinghamshire's National Nature Reserve, through private areas that were once part of the 10,000 acres Royal Forest of Sherwood where the woodland is dominated by native Oaks as well as other native trees including Silver Birch, Rowan, Holly and Hawthorn. The reserve is also the site of Europe's oldest Oak tree woodland, containing over 1000 Oaks most of which are over 500 years old! It is here that the Longhorn Cattle of Thoresby Estate now roam freely, although being a very docile breed of cattle, they will be tucked away during our run race.
Canicross entries & Nordic Walkers are very welcome. Please ensure you enter under the specific category you wish to be with.
Race numbers and your timing chip will be given out on the morning of the race. Please allow enough time to collect these from Race Registration.
The Ultra will have an 8 hour limit to complete the course & we will ask participants to finish prior to their final lap if they will finish after 4.30pm. Marathon runners must also finish before 4.30pm giving them a 7 hour time limit. Cut off is 3.15pm. After that you will not be permitted to continue another lap & we send an END RUNNER round the course to ask marshals to stand down & to ensure last participant returns safely. This is for your safety & to ensure course marshals can leave at a suitable time.
The Longhorn will have the following:
- 5k family run/walk
- 10k run race 11am & 2pm (1 lap)
- 1/2 marathon run race (2 laps)
- Marathon run race (4 laps)
- 50k Ultra (5 laps)
- 60k Ultra (6 laps)
- Chip timing
- Regular water / feed stations around the course (for man & beast!)
- Toilets on course
- Route fully marshalled and signposted
- Distance markers
- Bespoke race finishers medal - new bling every year!
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd man, woman
- Trophies for Veteran Winners; Male 40+ & Female 35+
- Canicross Winner Trophies
- Nordic Walking Winner Certificates
- Age group Certificates
- Certificates for ALL - sent by email
- Race photographer - free unlimited race photos
- Sports Therapist for free post race massage
- Full medical provision
- Ideal for novice through to elite
- Race village with hot food and beverages for sale
- Good Spuds providing high quality jacket potatoes, bacon butties & more!
- Little Sunshine Van providing home made cakes & hot drinks including specialist coffee & gluten free options
- Free bouncy castle for children
- Race partners at race village - to be confirmed
- Free onsite parking- please car share to save our environment.
Event details and schedule
The date is Sunday 24th April 2022. Races MAY start at the following times:
- 08:20 - 60k & 50k
- 08:40 - 10k & half marathon Canicross
- 09:00 - marathon
- 10:00-10:45 - 10k in waves
- 11:30-11:55 - half marathon in waves
- 12.30pm - 5k
- 2pm - 10k
PLEASE NOTE THESE TIMES MAY CHANGE SO REVIEW THE WEBSITE PAGE REGULARLY FOR UPDATES
The course is fully marked and marshalled, maps are on the website as PDF downloads.
Free parking is located off Nethefield Lane and marked with our signs. Please allow up to an hour before your race start to collect your timing chip and race number.
Please ensure you sign our waiver, photo ID is not required on the day.
From previous runners comments it has been noted that road shoes are best for this course if it is dry.
All other information in detail can be found on the website www.sbrevents.co.uk
Enjoy your training!