On Saturday, June 23, more than 125 swimmers will return to the URI Campanella Rowing Center in North Kingstown, R.I. for the 13th Annual Narrow River Turnaround Swim. They’ll set off from the beach adjacent to the rowing center dock at 9:00 a.m., swim around a buoy a half mile down river, and head back to the beach.
This one-mile loop swim celebrates the joy of open-water swimming and the natural beauty of the Narrow River, and raises money for the Narrow River Preservation Association’s education and preservation efforts, including the NRPA River Watch water-monitoring program, now starting its 27th year.
Here are the details:
When: Saturday, June 23, 2018, 9:00 a.m. (rain or shine)
Where: URI Boathouse - Campanella Rowing Center, 166 Walmsley Lane, North Kingstown, R.I.
Parking is limited. Carpooling is encouraged.
Distance: One Mile (1/2 mile out and 1/2 mile back). Common start for Wetsuit and Non-wetsuit Divisions
Start and Finish: The beach adjacent to the URI boathouse dock
Maximum Time: Due to the increased registrations as well as safety concerns, the swimmers will be given one hour to complete the swim.
Timing: Ankle chip timing provided by Tri-Mom Productions. Awards for best time overall, best times for male and female swimmers within Wetsuit and Non-wetsuit Divisions.
Limit: The first 150 registered entrants; the first 125 entrants will receive a 2018 Turnaround Swim T-shirt.
Check In: 7:45 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. No one will be admitted to the Turnaround Swim unless he or she has checked in and received a numbered swim cap by 8:40 a.m. on race day.
Mandatory Safety Briefing: 8:55 a.m.
Safety: Safety of our swimmers and volunteers is our primary concern. Because of the uncertainty of weather conditions such as fog or lightning, the lifeguards and the event committee reserve the right to cancel the event to ensure the safety of the participants. In the event that the swim is cancelled, 2018 registrants will be give a discounted registration rate for the 2019 Narrow River Turnaround Swim.
Entry Fee: Advanced registration is $35; walk-up registration is $40.
SWIM SPONSOR: Have your name printed on the Turnaround Swim T-shirt to show your support Narrow River. $50 to enter the swim, become a Swim Sponsor and receive an NRPA membership.
Event Information: Visit http://narrowriver.org/turnaroundswim, or contact Narrow River Preservation Association at email@example.com
Event details and schedule
Directions from Connecticut via I-95 Northbound:
- Take I-95 through Conn. to exit 3A in Rhode Island.
- Take exit 3A - Route 138 East and stay on 138 for about 15 miles. You will pass URI on your left.
- Travel 4 more miles to US-1 and take a LEFT onto US-1 North.
- Move to the right lane and travel 0.7 miles. A turning lane is available.
- Take a right onto Walmsley Lane and drive down the hill.
- Park on Walmsley Lane only, facing downhill on the left.
Direction from N.H. and Mass. via I-95 Southbound:
- Take I-95 South to Exit 9/RI-4 South (a left exit).
- At the end of RI-4, merge onto US-1 South and drive past the exit for 138 East.
- Continue on US-1 South. You will pass the boathouse entrance on the opposite side of the median.
- At the Route 138 West intersection (a traffic light after the Holiday Inn on the right) make a U-turn.
- Travel north on US-1 for 0.7 miles and turn right onto Walmsley Lane.
- Drive down the hill. Park on Walmsley Lane only, facing downhill on the left.
Narrow River Preservation Association