Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
MD - Strathmore CampusThe Music Center at Strathmore 5301 Tuckerman Lane North Bethesda, MD 20852-3385
We're sorry, but this class is over. The last meeting was Saturday, June 20, 2020.
(Ages 4-5. Age 4 as of September 2019, without parent/caregiver)
This class reinforces and builds on musical skills introduced in the Adventures in Music class* and introduces pre-notation for music reading. Children expand their musical vocabulary, pitch matching, and rhythmic abilities through songs, chants, and the use of pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments. Experience creating music independently is gained.
Movement continues to play an important role, as simple circle games and activities that promote expressive movement are incorporated.
Children develop listening skills, concentration, and a sense of timing as more complex and ensemble activities are introduced. "Visiting Instruments" continue throughout the year and students are exposed to new sounds and instrument families.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Development of pitch matching skills through basic solo singing and singing games
- Exploration using Orff instruments (pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments)
- Expanded knowledge of musical instruments and instrument families
- Development of rhythmic competency, including beat keeping and division of beat through movement and instrument playing
- Expressive movement activities
- Simple circle dances
- Development of social skills and cooperation through group activities such as dancing, playing and musical stories
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
*Please note that Adventures in Music is not a prerequisite.
Please note: All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Cohen, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or email@example.com.
All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time.
MD - Strathmore Campus