Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
MD - Strathmore CampusThe Music Center at Strathmore 5301 Tuckerman Lane North Bethesda, MD 20852-3385
We're sorry, but this class is over. The last meeting was Saturday, June 20, 2020.
(Ages 5-6. Age 5 as of September 2019, without parent/caregiver)
This class expands on the musical foundation presented in the Exploring Music class*. More complex songs and games are used to reinforce and expand musical literacy concepts such as beat, rhythm, melodic form, harmony, and expression.
Children develop musical independence through improvisation. Movement continues to play an important role, as more complex circle games and line dances are incorporated. Children also continue to explore ways to move expressively.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Development of rhythmic skills including beat, meter, tempo and durational patterns
- Introduction to more advanced improvisational forms
- Ability to identify musical form through listening, playing, and movement activities
- Ability to identify musical instruments and instrument families by sound
- Development of melodic competency through improvisation, as well as independent singing, accurate intonation and expression
- Development of expressive movement and more complex dances
- Development of social cooperation and musical creativity
*Please note that Exploring Music is not a prerequisite.
Please note: All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Cohen, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time.
MD - Strathmore Campus