Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Sleepy Hollow Athletic Club482 Westley Road Mohnton, PA 19540
For the 20th year, the Pagoda Pacers will once again be holding the Charlie Horse Trail Half-Marathon to benefit Berks Co. Special Olympics. The race is on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend, May 28, 2017. Please consider participating in the race in any fashion (but hopefully paying runners). We have been having wonderful weather the past couple of years and I guarantee another one this year, or at least the bar will be open. Please visit our facebook page to see what you have been missing.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CharlieHorseHalf/
The Charlie Horse is not your typical race. It is a point to point race which will require you to get to the finish, so NOT finishing is NOT option. It is part trail, part road, and part adventure; everything a masochist runner needs. We start at scenic Rustic Park in Birdboro, PA with a sprint through two creeks and meander through the park for about 2 miles. From there we climb up to the Horseshoe trail to start a beautiful 7 mile stretch through woods and farms. But like everything else with this race, it has its own character. At mile 9 you get a break, as the trail runs downhill, wee, and pops out onto the road section. But everything that goes down must come up. I think that’s the way it goes, at least for runners. To translate, we start the uphill section of the road. When you get to the top at mile 11, you’re at Charlie’s house (home of the race founder) where the adventure begins. It’s a mystery to us too: lagoons; waterfall; campers; hiker; teenagers, maybe some chores. The only certainty is rocks, mud, and fun. Finally finishes at Sleepy Hollow A.C. where the pool, food, music, drinks, and friends will be waiting. Hope to see you there.
Event details and schedule
On race day
- Registration opens at 7:15 a.m at Sleepy Hollow Athletic Club, 482 Westley Road, Mohnton, Pa. 19540.
- BE THERE BY 8:15 AM. Although the race starts at 9:00 am, we need to allow time to get runners to the start in Rustic Park, Birdboro PA. (A to B race, remember?) Registration closes at 8:15 am and the last bus will depart by 8:30 am.
- Bring WATER. It is looking to be a beautiful day, however temperature will be factor. While there are 4 aid stations, the longest unaided section is 4 miles. Please be prepared to keep yourself hydrated over this difficult section. Course Map, Click Here
- Please be careful on the road section following Aid Station #3 and run against traffic. Take special care at the Route 10 (Morgantown Rd) & Buck Hollow Rd crossing (Click for Map). While fire police will be manning the crossing, you are ultimately responsible for your safety. It is recommended that you let cars have the right away.
- Donation for the Berks County Special Olympics will be accepted at Sleepy Hollow before and after the race.
- Race day registration is available at $45. So bring a friend (who you need to get back at).
- The pool will be open this year so bring a towel. There is a $5 fee for access. Please remember to hose off after the race before entering the pool area.
- The pool will be open this year so bring a towel.
- NO alcohol may be brought onto the premises. Alcohol is allowed, but must be bought at Sleepy Hollow.