Connecticut Swimming's 2017 Open Water Championship will be held June 24, 2017 at Lake Quassapaug in Middlebury, CT.
This event is hosted by the Nutmeg Aquatic Club and held under sanction of Connecticut Swimming Inc./USA Swimming #L17-33.
Event details and schedule
Choose from 2 Events:
A: 1 Mile Open Water Championship in Lake Quassapaug (Ages 11 +)
B: Mini Mile Open Water Swim (approx 500yds) (Ages 9-12)
A: $37 Entry for all 13 and Over USA & USMS Swimming members (this includes event swim cap and t-shirt only)
B: $37 Entry for all 12 and Under USA Swimming members (this includes event swim cap and t-shirt only)
*Note all swimmers that are NOT USA/USMS members will have to register for the one-day event USA appilcation which cost $15 additionally in order to participate in the event. This application will be availble to you at race day registration. This must be paid in full and signed prior to particpation.
Age Limits: A: One Mile Championship (Minimum age of 11)
B: Mini Mile (Minimum age of 9 – Max age of 12)
Awards: A: USA Swimmers: 1st place for both Male and Female (11-12,13-14,15-16, 17-18, 19+) for 1 Mile Championship. Top 3 for both Male and Female (9-10, 11-12) for Mini Mile.
Rules: Current USA/USMS Swimming open water swimming rules will govern this event. A one-hour cutoff time will be strictly enforced. Wetsuits are permitted but swimmers are ineligible for awards.
Disabled Swimmers: We encourage the participation of disabled swimmers. Each disabled swimmer should contact Jen Lyman at 203-464-6903 in advance in order to plan for any special arrangements necessary for your participation in this event.
Schedule of Events:
Registration Check in: 7:45 am
Warm –up: 7:45– 8:50 am
Briefing: 8:50 am
Mini Mile Start: 9:00 am (all Swimmers)
Championship Race Start:
Wave 1 – 9:20 USA Male Swimmers Ages 15 to 25
Wave 2 - 9:25 USA Female Swimmers Ages 15 to 25
Wave 3 - 9:30 USA Male Swimmers Ages 11-14
Wave 4 - 9:35 USA Female Swimmers Ages 11-14
Wave 5 – 9:40 USA Male Swimmers Ages 30 and Up
Wave 6 – 9:45 USMS Female Swimmers Ages 30 and Up
(Waves subject to change based upon entries)
Timing: Electronic CHAMPIONCHIP TIMING will be used. Each swimmer will wear an electronic timing chip secured by an ankle bracelet to automatically record their time as they run across the finish line. The timing chip must be returned or a $75 charged will be assessed to the swimmer for failing to return the chip.
Location: Lake Quassapaug in Middlebury, CT
Facility Description: 60 Foot Deep, Spring Fed, Fresh Water Lake No need to worry about jellyfish, horseshoe crabs or salt water. Safety Kayaks will line the race course.
Lake Quassapaug is a 296 acre lake situated in Middlebury, CT. http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2799&q=488556
Volunteers: Each CSI Team sending 5 or more swimmers will be required to provide one adult volunteer for the event.
Race Director: Jen Lyman 203-464-6903, email@example.com
Safety Chairman: Christina Forristall
Event Referee: Dave Heller
Entry Chairman: Jen Lyman
Entry Deadline: CSI Team entries due by June 14, 2017 (There will be NO race day entries)
Entry Format: Open to all USA registered swimmers
NON USA & USMS swimmers must pay 1-day membership fee for USA to obtain insurance coverage.
How to enter:
USA Swimming athletes can enter in two different ways:
TEAM ENTRY: USA Swimming clubs can enter as a group by submitting a print-out of all entrants (with name, age and USA #) Hytek software. Meet files are posted on ctswim.org. Mail the print-out and club check to: MRSC and mail to: Jen Lyman, P.O. Box 508, Madison, CT, 06443. If you enter in this manner you do not need to fill out separate application forms for each swimmer. Please email your team entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
INDIVIDUAL ONLINE ENTRY: Each swimmer can register individually online through www.active.com.
INDIVIDUAL MAIL ENTRY: Each swimmer can register individually by completing the event application and sending it via regular mail. Photo copies of the application form are permitted.
Checks Payable: ELBOE Special Account
Beneficiary: East Lyme Fitness and Aquatic Center
Refreshments: Refreshments are availible for purchase after the event.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO RECORDING:
Meet Management has the full authority to restrict any and all photography and visual recording at the meet. Photography or video recording (using cameras, video cameras, iPads, cell phones, etc) from the deck is prohibited by all individuals other than participating Coach and Athlete Members unless prior authorization from the Meet Referee or his/her designee has been granted. Flash photography is prohibited during the start of any heat, including whenever any swimmer is stepping up or standing on a block for the purpose of the start of a heat.
Additionally, the following “Non-Camera Zones” shall be enforced:
• Photography or video recording and the use of audio or visual recording devices, including a cell phone, is not permitted in changing areas, rest rooms or locker rooms.
• Photography or video recording (using cameras, video cameras, iPads, cell phones, etc) is not permitted in the area immediately behind the starting blocks at either end of the racing course(s) while they are in use for “race starting purposes” during competition and warm-ups.
• Additional "Non-Camera Zones" may be designated by Meet Management.
Any individual failing to abide by these rules may be ejected from the facility and be subject to a Code of Conduct violation at the discretion of Meet Management.
WAIVER AND LELEASE OF LIABILITY
Acknowledgement, Assumption of the Risk, Release of Liability and Indemnification Agreement
1) The risk of injury from the activities involved in this event could be significant, including the potential for
permanent paralysis and death, and while particular rules, equipment and personal discipline may reduce this risk,the risk of serious injury does exist.
2) The participant agrees to be bound by the rules of the Lake Quassapaug, Quassey Amusement Park and USA Swimming guidlines and program policies.
3) I knowingly and freely assume all such risks, both known and unknown, even if arising from the negligence of the releases or others, and assume full responsibility from my participation and,
4) I willingly agree to comply with the stated and customary terms and conditions for participation. If however, I observe any unusual significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of a district staff person, and
5) I, for myself and on behalf of my heirs assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, HEREBY RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS Nutmeg Aquatics, CT Swimming, Quassey Amusement Park, East Lyme Aquatic and Fitness Center, its directors, officers, officials, agents and/or employees, other participants sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers and, if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct the event (the“Releases”), WITH RESPECT TO ANY AND ALL INJURY, DISABILITY, DEATH, or loss or damage to person or property. WHETHER ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
6) I acknowledge reading and understanding the following disclosures and agree to abide by specific rules regarding open water swimming at Lake Quassapaug.
Shoreline Aquatic Club