Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Tonto National ForestPhon D Sutton Recreation Area Mesa, AZ 85264
Medical Wilderness Adventure Race (MedWAR)
Racers will mountain bike, canoe, trail run, and orienteer to checkpoints containing wilderness medicine scenarios and questions. Checkpoints will contain questions and hand-on scenarios, designed to test your academic and practical knowledge of wilderness medicine. Teams will navigate by map and compass to checkpoints where they will encounter physical challenges or wilderness medicine scenarios. The team must successfully complete the task and demonstrate all procedures before moving forward in the race. Past races have involved treating everything from climbing or diving accidents to stove burns and altitude sickness. Expected race finish times are 6-7 hours. This is an unassisted race - no support crew. Teams of any three (3) persons - no less, no more. There are no age, gender, or training level categories. Medical training is not required to compete, however you will have a significant advantage if you and your teammates have some level of wilderness medical knowledge.
See our webpage for gear list and more information:
Event details and schedule
Friday January 17, 2019
18:00 Check-in & camping (Optional)
19:00 Educational lectures on wilderness medicine topics and local history and environmental concerns (Optional but incredibly helpful during the course)
Saturday January 18, 2019
06:30-08:30 Racer and BIKE Check-in (continued)
08:45 Safety Presentation
09:15 Team Captain's meeting
17:00 Post-race dinner, awards & educational presentation
20:00 Post-race camping & celebration
Schedule Subject to Change.
- Mountain Bikes:
- One mountain bicycle for each member of the team
- One cycling helmet for each team member
- Tire repair kit (thorns & sharp rocks are guaranteed) and know how to use it!
- Canoes and life vests are included in the registration fee. If you desire to bring your own life vest you can do so, but like all equipment will have to be carried throughout the entire race.
Required Team Equipment
- Orienteering Compass (You will be navigating by map & compass). Map will be provided.
- Ink pen for writing in waterproof passbook
- Fire Starting Supplies (e.g. Matches, Flint, Lighter, etc)
- CPR Facemask
- Waterproofed Cell Phone (turned off)
- Water Detoxification Method*
*You will be responsible for your own hydration for the duration of the race. Natural sources of water (e.g. lakes, streams) will be on the race course, but you provide your own water detoxification method.
- Waterproofing Method for Map and Passbook
- Wilderness Medical and Survival Kit**
** You choose the contents of this kit. This is part of the perparation and team strategy challenge of the race. To use an item in a medical scenario, you will need to show that you have the item and in some cases use it. Exception: To simulate a medication in your kit, you may label an empty syringe or pill bottle with the name of the med in Sharpee. These must be pre-labeled before the race begins.
Required Individual Equipment (3 of each per team or 1 per person)
- Dry Change of Clothes and Rain Gear (waterproofed & kept dry even if you get wet)
- Safety Whistle
- Light Source (with extra batteries)
- Food and Water (ability to carry 2 liters)
- A Sense of Adventure
- Camping supplies and food if camping.
- Anything you think a Medical Wilderness Adventure Racer would need that isn’t forbidden (see below).
- Electronic Navigational Devices (GPS, satellite locator, pace-meter, etc.)
- Communication Device (cell phone, radio, pager, PDA, walkie-talkie, etc.)
- Any & all electronic devices with the exception of cameras (however be warned that they may get wet and we are not responsible for them.)
- Cell phone may be carried if turned off and waterproofed*.
- Any Mode of Transportation not authorized by Race Staff
- Any Map other than that provided by Race Staff
* Use of cell phone for navigation, completing the course, or obtaining answers during the race is disqualifying. Use for real medical emergencies or irresistible photo opportunities whether due to the incredible natural beauty or humiliation of a teammate for use as blackmail later are certainly permitted. Waterproofing is your responsibility. MedWAR is not responsible for loss or damage.
Cancellations/Refunds: 50% refund is available for any cancellation prior to January 10, 2020 after that time there is no refund available for team cancellations.