Lakewood SummerFEST Triathlon
Saturday, July 13, 2019
The TRIPLE THREAT TRI SERIES is back. If you want to do 3 triathlons this summer (Black Hills-June 16, SummerFEST-july 13, Bonney Lake-August 31), please DO NOT register for each race individually. Click here https://www.active.com/lakewood-wa/triathlon/races/triple-threat-triathlon-series-2019 to register for the Triple Threat Series where you get a big discount and get registered for all three at one time.
Or enjoy the SummerFEST triathlon........
The Lakewood SummerFEST Triathlon, is a fun and competitive sprint triathlon open to participants 12 years and older. Bring the whole family to enjoy SummerFEST Festivities following the race. SummerFEST has multi sporting events, live music, movie at dusk, 30 food trucks, kidzone, and mroe. The course consists of:
- ½ -mile swim starting and ending from the shore at American Lake Park;
- 14-mile bike course looped through the streets of Lakewood, Steilacoom, and Pierce County and;
- 3.1-mile run at Fort Steilacoom Park
The race will start at 9:00am along the shore of American Lake (9222 Veterans Drive SW) and end at Fort Steilacoom Park (8714 87th Ave SW.)
Event details and schedule
PACKET PICK-UP TIMES
Friday, July 12th at Lakewood City Hall, 1st floor.
Packet Pick-up Time: 8:30 -9:30am, 11:30-1:00pm and 4:00-5:00pm
You must show your picture ID in order to pick up your race packet. You may pick up packets for your friends and family.
This is not a USAT sanctioned race
SATURDAY, JULY 13th
Racers check in at American Lake Park and pick up their race packet between 6:30 – 8:00 am.
Because this triathlon uses a different start location than the finish, you will need to manage your time to set up your transition areas. If you wait until Saturday morning to check in, you will be EXTREMELY pressed for time to get all of your transition areas staged. Plan ahead and give yourself time to move about! There is very limited parking at American Lake, so we encourage everyone to park at Fort Steilacoom Park on Saturday and take the shuttle to the start.
On Saturday morning racers should:
Go to Americn Lake Park to get registration packet, body marked and set up bike at Transition 1 (T1).
2). Drive to Fort Steilacoom Park and set up your running gear at T2. Ride the bus shuttle back to the start lat American Lake Park. There will be NO BIKES allowed on the shuttle buses.
3) Only athletes will be allowed out of their cars in this area. You will be provided a white plastic bag with your name on it at registration for storing your T1 gear. T1 race bags will be transported to the finish line for pick up after the race.
4). After you finish the race, you can collect your bike and gear from the T2 area (including your bag from T1 that will be transported to Fort Steilacoom Park by race officials).
SATURDAY MORNING RACERS SCHEDULE
6:00am: T1 and T2 areas open for gear staging. Only racers with body numbers and wrist bands may enter the transition areas for staging their own gear. No exceptions.
6:30am – 8:20am: Shuttle bus running.
8:35am: Racer Count-In (each racer crosses the timing mat to activate timing chip).
8:45am: Racer pre-race briefing.
8:50am: Open Water Warm Up
9:00am: RACE START
Every person on the Relay Team must be present to pick up their individual packet All Relay Team members do not have to pick up their individual packets at the same time, but one person can not pick up other team members packets.
Race Day – Each Relay Team member will have their own individual timing chip worn around their ankle. Each one of those chips have the same Relay Team Race Number attached to them. Relay team members do not cross timing mats until their part of the race.
Swimming Team Member will cross the timing mat before the race starts to activate their teams timing chips, then they will proceed to complete the swim portion of the race and cross the timing mat when exiting the water to get an official swim time, then proceed to the Swim-Bike transition (T1) to make a physical tag “High Five” with the Biking Team Member. When the Swimming Team Member is finished, be sure NOT TO CROSS TIMING MATS for the rest of the race.
Biking Team Member will be inside Swim-Bike Transition (T1) WITHOUT CROSSING TIMING MATS during the swim portion of the race. Relay teams can stage their bikes anywhere inside transition, just make sure your teammates know where you are. As soon as the Swimming Team Member makes a physical tag with the Biking Team Member they will exit transition to begin the Bike portion of the race. After completing the Bike Course they will enter the Bike-Run transition (T2) and find their Run Team Member and make a physical tag. When the Biking Team Member is finished, be sure NOT TO CROSS TIMING MATS while exiting transition or any time during the rest of the race.
Running Team Member will be inside Bike-Run Transition (WITHOUT CROSSING TIMING MATS) as the biker gets close to completing the Bike Course. As soon as the Biking Team Member makes a physical tag with the Running Team Member, the Runner will exit transition crossing the Run Out timing mat to start the Run time. After finishing the Run Course they will cross the Finish line timing mat to complete the race. After the Running Team Member crosses the finish line, the Swimming and Biking Team Members should be at the finish line to turn in their chips together.
Relay teams – each member of the team must turn in your timing chips at the finish line!
NO ONE is allowed in transition areas without body numbers and wrist band. No exceptions. (Friends or families cannot stage your equipment or access the transition area at any time).
YOU MUST HAVE YOUR REGISTRATION PACKET AND NUMBERS IN ORDER TO STAGE YOUR TRANSITION GEAR.
A gentle and friendly reminder to register early and pick up your packet on Friday! Help us make everyone’s morning smoother and faster by being ready ahead of time!
- Participants must be 12 years of age or older.
- Race packets may be picked up at Lakewood City Hall on Friday,July 13
- The race course will be officially closed at 12:00pm. All participants who have not completed the race may do so at their own risk.
- Awards will be presented at 10:45 on the main stage at the completion of the Triathlon.
- First Aid/Refreshment Stations will be provided at the start and finish area, as well as designated points on the course.
- Swim is a ½-mile out and back lake swim from American Lake Park.
- Swimmers must wear swim caps, which will be provided.
- Wet suits are highly recommended; however, fins, snorkels, and /or buoyancy devices are not allowed.
- Cyclists must provide and wear helmets.
- Cyclists should be aware that roads will be open to two-way traffic. After 12:00pm cyclists must yield right-of-way at all intersections.
- Bike route is 14 loop.
- Bicycles must be in good working condition and have two working hand brakes.
- The bike course is relatively flat with a few short hills starting near the 5.5 mile mark.
- Run is a 3.1 mile out and back mostly flat course. There are a few hills.
- All runners must stay to the right of the road.
- Runners may not pass other triathletes in the finish chute after crossing the finish line
Directions to American Lake:
From I-5, take exit 124 for Gravelly Lake Dr. Turn right onto Gravelly Lake Dr SW/Nyanza Rd SW. Continue to follow Gravelly. Lake Dr. SW. Turn left onto Veterans Dr. SW. Slight left to stay on Veterans Dr. SW. Slight right to stay on Veterans Dr SW. Parking for American Lake North Park will be on the left.
Directions to Fort Steilacoom Park:
From I-5 take exit 129 (72nd Street) and turn west onto 74th Street which becomes Custer Drive in 2.3 miles. Turn right on 88th Street SW which becomes Steilacoom Blvd. Turn left on 87th Avenue SW. Then turn right immediately into the park.
City of Lakewood Parks and Recreation