Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Town Center Mall400 Barrett Parkway Kennesaw, GA 30144
Here’s the latest update for the Iron Horse 15K / 5K Express. Please read in its entirety as it will answer just about any question you may have.
Everyone knows what is going on with COVID-19, and out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of others, the vast majority of races across the country have cancelled. After countless hours of planning and re-planning, given frequent changes to local, state and federal guidelines, as well as the CDC recommendations, here’s where we are at.
There will be a live race on Sept. 27th. However… we are only approved to run a 5K (and it took conversations with Simon Property’s Corp. Office to get this far). Cobb County will give us the green light on the 5K. But none of the powers that be are comfortable with the 15K distance just yet. So view this as a stepping stone (more on this later). There will be four race options available;
- The 5K as-is, as a live event
- The 15K will be a hybrid. It will be called the 15K challenge. Participants will be able to submit a 10K Virtual time between 9/19 and 9/26. They will then complete the distance at the live 5K on Sept 27th. Results will be based on 5K live time, but we will post separate awards for the 15K hybrid event that combines the 5K live and the 10K virtual times (they 15K hybrid times will be posted by 9/29
- For those that are not comfortable running “live” just yet (and we have heard from many of our fans that say they are not), you can do the 15K as a Virtual Run and still get the same swag (more on this later)
- We will also offer the 5K as a virtual for those that want to do so
- 5K will get the shirt and finisher medal, whether they run live or virtual
- 15K will get an upgraded long sleeve shirt, hat, and water bottle plus the finisher medal
The 5K course will be a brand-new course at Town Center Mall. It will be single-loop, allowing us to send people out in small waves relatively quickly. The course will stay on mall property, and once we get the final design approval from the county and the mall, we will work on getting it certified in time for the race. ANY course at the mall is fast, and we know this one will be, too! Once the course gets final approval, we will share maps, parking info, wave explanation, etc. with you.
Our team would LOVE to get back to doing all the live races we have done over the past 9 years, and this is a necessary step in doing so. This step (A live race of this size in a COVID world) is also an important stepping-stone for us. By showing all the protocols we put in place to host a live event will work (and that our participants will follow them), this gives us leverage to work on moving forward with a live half marathon on Dec. 13th. We have met with local authorities and the property managers regarding the half marathon, and at the moment we have conditional approvals, with a lot of creativity on our part. One of the conditions is that this 5K on September 27th goes according to plan with regard to the COVID protocols. We also have conditional approval to proceed with the Anything is Possible 5K at the mall, based on how well this 5K goes with regard to COVID protocols and their comfort level. So please, be sure to follow them, as we all win. We have put in a crazy amount of hours to get this far with live racing, and we want to keep the momentum going.
We know how crazy it has been in the running world, and as you can imagine, it has been very crazy for us. We are thrilled we are making progress toward live racing again, and we appreciate all the love and support we have received from many of our fans!
RULES OF THE RUN
- While there is plenty of free parking at the race, we ask that you please do NOT arrive more than 30-45 min prior to the start, and stay in your cars while waiting.
- You must check in at the medical tent to have a temperature check. If you have a fever, you will not be able to participate.
- All our staff will wear masks to further enhance safety measures.
- We will further limit the number of people at the start line by sending participants off in smaller groups every 30-60 seconds. YOU WILL BE CHIP TIMED so it won't affect your race time.
- Once you are done, please do not hang around the finish line. We need to keep the area clear in accordance with social distancing guidelines.
- Complete results will be posted that night on active.com and they will be sent to you via email. Awards will be given to overall and to age group winners in various age groups, but we will mail awards to winners.
- Masks will not be required while running on the course but having a mask or buff handy is highly recommended should you be passed by another runner or are passing another runner. Masks / face coverings will be required while you are waiting to start.
- Please be sure to wash and sanitize your hands frequently. Sanitizer will be available in various areas around the venue.
- We strongly encourage you to plan for your own hydration needs, especially on the course. You will get one bottle of water at the finish line.
- ALL particpants must sign the online waiver before race weekend. If we do not have a signed waiver, you cannot participate, and your race number will be pulled. Each person must sign their own waiver (or a parent/guardian if participant is under 18).
- If you have a fever, cough, sore throat, or any other symptom of COVID-19 or other illness, please stay home. Contact event director if you have any questions. Complete CDC guidelines can be found HERE
- The event has a 300 runner capacity, with only 6-8 people starting at a time. Once the race is sold out, it is sold out. No exceptions will be made.
Event details and schedule
The live race will start at 730am
Plenty of FREE parking at Town Center at Cobb!
REFUND POLICY - No refunds and no transfers are allowed for this event. In the unlikely event of a postponement or cancellation due to Force Majuere, complete instructions will be sent to you via email regarding alternatives, should alternatives be available.