Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Mercer Park Aquatic Center/ Scanlon Gymnasium2701 Bradford Drive Iowa City, IA 52240
Learn to be a professional lifeguard through the American Red Cross Blended Learning and Classroom Lifeguarding Courses. This training provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illness until EMS personnel take over. Upon successful completion, candidates will have a Lifeguard certification valid for 2 years.
Candidates must successfully pass the following course pre-requisites:
1. Candidates must be at least 15 years of age by the end of the course
2. Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills (on the first day of class):
a. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
b. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
c. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder
To pass, candidates must:
1. Complete all online orientations and content (please note that all blended learning classes have 7-10 hours of required pre-course work that must be successfully completed before in-person skill sessions)
2. Attend all class sessions as scheduled
3. Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
4. Correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in the final written exam
Enrollment note: Registration closes 2 weeks before first in-person date. Minimums must be met to run courses. No refunds are given if candidate fails pre-requites but credit for class can be reapplied to a future American Red Cross course or offering through Iowa City Parks & Recreation.
Mercer Park Aquatic Center