Event Description: The Xplorer 1 Day Epic Challenge is a rigorous and eventful 10-hour day of non-stop racing from the infamous steep trail ascent of Pu‘u Manamana, wild waters of Kaneohe, ending with the breathtaking Kahana Bay.
Event details and schedule
Distance: 17+ miles
Ascent: 2,000 feet
Descent: 2,050 feet
Calories Burned: 9,000
Included: Equipment, Guides, Watermen, Lifeguards, Timing, Water and Light Snacks
Recommended Gear: Waterproof camera or GoPro, GPS-enabled watch, HRM, hydration backpack (recommended 2.0L or more), sunglasses, sunscreen, bug repellent, hat, reef shoes, trail running shoes, preferred nutrition and hydration supplements
Length of Time: 10 to 12 hours
Activities: Trekking, Road Running, Beach Running, Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Kayaking, Outrigging
Sequence of Events:
- The timer starts with a trail ascent ridge challenge on Pu’u Manamana (Crouching Lion Trail) where you will race up 0.75 miles with a heart pounding ascent of 1,000 feet past knife-edged trails.
- Upon reaching the infamous summit, you will be able to see the facade of Crouching Lion and Kahana Bay.
- SAFELY make your way back down to the trailhead where you will pick up the pace and run 4 miles to Kualoa Regional Park.
- Grab a stand up paddle board (SUP) and carry the SUP while running on the beach for 0.3 miles to the water entry past the wave barrier.
- Paddle on your SUP for 0.3 miles to Chinaman’s Hat and disembark.
- Fast trek around the island before quickly hiking to the top of the “Hat” where you will grab a flag before paddling back to the point of origin at Kualoa Regional Park.
- For the next water challenge, jump into a kayak and paddle 3 miles to Ahu’olaka (Sand Bar) in the middle of Kaneohe Bay where you will either disembark or find a way to anchor yourself.
- Search for a rock with your name on it, and bring it back with you during the 3-mile paddle to the point of origin at Kualoa Regional Park.
- The last water challenge is in an outrigger canoe (OC1) paddling 5 miles to Kahana Bay.
- You will surf in the OC1 into the bay for a fast 1.5-miles on the lush and jungle-like Kahana River and back 1.5 miles to the bay.
- The long day will end at the beautiful Kahana Bay where the timer will stop.
Xplorer Fitness Challenge