1. Wrap right arm behind waist, reaching for left thigh. Try lifting left arm parallel to floor, palm forward, and gazing toward left hand to challenge your core.
2. Rise onto toes for a balance challenge.
3. Lift right toes an inch or two off floor for a couple of breaths, then switch sides. Shifting your base of support during this full-body exercise will activate even more muscles.
Slide hands, palms up, under fronts of feet. If knees are bent, straighten legs and hold backs of calves or ankles. From either position, gently pull torso toward legs to deepen the hamstring stretch.
Straighten legs so toes are higher than head for a greater balance challenge.
Clasp hands under hips and straighten arms, squeezing shoulder blades together. Hold for a few breaths. To intensify this pose more, extend right leg toward ceiling for a few breaths, then repeat with opposite leg.
Pick Your PlaylistMusic can also change the mood of your workout. Here, some of Mandy Ingber's top picks:
- 1. "Suzuki," Tosca
- 2. "Lebanese Blonde," Thievery Corporation
- 3. "Give It Away," Zero 7
- 4. "You Make It Easy," Air
- 5. "Om Namah Shivaya," Wah!
- 6. "Opening," Wah!
- 1. "Time Will Tell," Bob Marley & the Wailers
- 2. "Bittersweet Symphony," The Verve
- 3. "Spiritual High Part 3," Moodswings
- 4. "Be Thankful for What You've Got," Massive Attack
- 5. "Empire State of Mind," Jay-Z and Alicia Keys
- 6. "Sure Looks Good to Me," Alicia Keys
- 7. "Little Wing," The Jimi Hendrix Experience
- 8. "Purple Rain," Prince
- 9. "Chasing Pavements," Adele
Illustrations by Samantha Hahn, Prevention