Join thousands of your closest friends on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at College of DuPage's Food Truck Rally and 8th annual Sunset 5K Run/Walk. This is a not-to-be-missed west suburban event featuring more than 15 sought-after food trucks, a robust Touch-A-Truck for kids of all ages, and a perfectly paved 5K course on a gorgeous fall day.
Register now before the price goes up!
Event details and schedule
COLLEGE OF DUPAGE FOOD TRUCK RALLY & SUNSET 5K RUN/WALK
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2018
- 1-2pm- VIP (Very Impatient Purchaser) Hour! Limited number of passes on sale now.
- 2-3pm- 5K Packet Pickup
- 2-7pm- Touch-A-Truck and Kid Zone
- 2-8pm- Food Truck Rally
- 3:30pm- Youth Dash (starts at south end zone of football field)
- 3:30-4pm- Team photos at the 5K start line
- 4pm- 5K Start Line Group Stretch with DuPage Medical Group
- 4:30pm- 5K Kickoff! (Vote for your favorite song here!)
STAGE and ENTERTAINMENT SCHEDULE
- 2:15pm- Glen Ellyn School of Rock
- 3pm- "Pumpkin Destruction" STEM CON Demonstration
- 5:45pm- Culinary Demonstration (No-bake pumpkin pie)
- 6pm- Award Ceremony
- 6:15pm- Costume Contest and Pumpkin Pie Eating Contest
- 6:45pm- "Smart Sparks" Welding Demonstration
- 7 p.m. Parade of Trucks
- A stellar lineup of more than 15 award-winning Food Trucks!
- USATF certified paved and scenic 5K course
- Ample parking and nearby, indoor, and really clean restrooms
- $100 Visa gift card awarded to Top Overall male and female runners, and "Middle of the Pack" winner
SO WHERE DO ALL THE PROCEEDS GO?
Student scholarships, of course! Each of the 15 public high school districts served by COD has a dedicated scholarship for their graduates who choose to attend COD and access a world-class education without exorbitant loans. When you register for either the 5K Run/Walk or the 100-Yard Youth Dash, designate your race fee to the high school district of your choice.
LOCATION AND 5K COURSE
College of DuPage Football Stadium (start/finish)
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Same USATF certified course as 2017
FOOD TRUCK RALLY
Be prepared to make difficult decisions at the College of DuPage Food Truck Rally!
NEW IN 2018... Very Impatient Purchaser Passes!
On sale now, VIP Food Truck Rally passes offer the following benefits for a small fee of $10 per person:
- Early entrance at 1 p.m. (read as "less lines"!)
- Reserved, nearby parking
- Special lanyard to wear at the event and look like a rock star
- Voting rights for your favorite food truck
Purchase power and more information at www.cod.edu/rally.
Beavers Coffee and Donuts: Fried-to-order mini donuts with autumnal flavors and signature toppings
Best Truckin' BBQ: Turbo-charged barbeque sandwiches and burgers
The Crave Bar: Salty-sweet ice cream perfection!
Cupcakes For Courage: Delightfully distinctive cupcakes with a cause
Grumpy Gaucho: Extraordinary empanadas from Argentin
Happy Lobster: Award-winning lobster rolls, cheesy lobster bites, and crab bisque to-go
Harold's Chicken Shack: Famous fried chicken...one bite and they've gotcha!
La Cocinita: Venezuelan-inspired Latin American street food
Mario's Cart: Creative Mexican and Italian tortas and stacks
Mother Wilma's Marshmallow Factory: Handmade s'mores, gourmet marshmallows, grahams, and whoopee pies
Pierogi Wagon: Golden-seared polish dumplings
The Roaming Hog: Pork-centric sandwiches and "Hog-Rub" fries
Ruthella's New Orleans Cuisine: Cajun classics straight from NOLA
Skuddlebutt's: Fan-favorite pizza by the slice
Toasty Cheese: Gourmet "hand-built" grilled cheese and fabulous fries
Toasty Taco: Tasty street tacos, tamales and more!
Yum Dum: Asian steamed dumplings, "baowiches", and "kimcheesy" balls
TOUCH-A-TRUCK AND KID ZONE
*New this year*... Costume Contests!
In honor of the upcoming spooky holiday, we're holding the first-ever COD Sunset costume contests at 6:15 p.m. near the stage. Join us in costume and be judged on originality, attention to detail, and receive an overall score.
- Ages 0 through 11: First 30 in line get an LED foam stick for participation.
- Ages 12 through 17: $50 movie passes
- Ages 18+: $100 Visa gift card
Ages 0 through 11:
Each child in 0-11 age group will parade on stage. Parents may accompany young children.
Ages 12 through 17, and 18+:
First 10 contestants in line for each age group will be judged from the stage according to originality, attention to detail, and receive an overall score. (The remaining contestants will have a chance to walk across the stage after each contest.)
- Costumes must be family friendly.
- Absolutely no shooting weapons
- Event organizers reserve the right to reject an entry based on inappropriate, unsafe, or illegal behavior and/or violations of the family friendly nature of the contest.
- All judges' decisions are final.
FREE KIDS ACTIVITIES
Kids know how to have fun and there will be plenty of free activities for all ages at the 2018 College of DuPage Food Truck Rally & Sunset 5K.
- Face Painting
- Pumpkin Painting
- Games and prizes
- Pumpkin bounce house
5K AND YOUTH DASH REGISTRATION INFORMATION
- You do not need to register for the 5K to attend the Food Truck Rally.
- STRONG RECOMMENDATION: Register online and pick up your packet before race day to avoid lines. Pre-race packet pickup announced soon.
- Walkers and strollers are welcome and will be asked to follow the start line signs for a predicted pace lineup.
- Bicycles, in-line skates, and other wheeled vehicles (except wheelchairs and strollers) are not allowed.
- For technical assistance with online registration, please call Active.com Consumer Support line at (877) 228-4881, option 4.
RACE DAY REGISTRATION
- Packet pickup hours of operation are 2 to 3 p.m. only.
- Racers are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to retrieve packets during the several pre-race day events (announced soon) to avoid congestion and lines.
- Onsite cash registration will not be available.
- Race day registrants are not guaranteed to receive a race packet with a shirt.
- 5K race day registrations accepted by the Race Director after 3 p.m. are not guaranteed ranking.
- General Registration: Current price is $25, but it definitely will go up! We're only announcing fee increases on Facebook and in emails.
- Currently Enrolled COD Students: Always only $10.00 (subject to verification and must provide student ID number at the time of registration)
- Kids ages 5-12 and Seniors ages 60+: Always only $15.00
- 100-Yard Youth Dash: Always only $10.00
- Children 4 and under: No need to register for the 5K unless timing is preferred.
100-YARD YOUTH DASH
- 3:30 p.m. start time on football field (south end zone)
- Registration closes at 3 p.m. on race day. Online only at Active.com.
- Three age divisions (4-5, 6-7, and 8-9 years old)
- Participants will receive unchipped bibs.
- $25 Visa gift cards will be awarded to the fastest girls and boys in each age division.
- See the race official at the finish line. Each winner will be required to complete a W-9 per IRS guidelines and be accompanied by an adult to receive awards.
- Unofficially timed with stopwatches and eagle-eyed volunteers.
Don't forget about the Touch-A-Truck, pumpkin painting, and the other free Kid Zone activities!
- Teams consist of 3-15 people and can be created at the time of race registration on Active.com.
- *New this year* All team members will receive a special gift at the time of packet pickup.
Fastest Team Award
- Each member of the fastest team will receive a $50 Whole Foods gift card!
- The winning team will be based on the average of the top three team members' times.
- The winning team will be announced at 6:00 p.m. from the Food Truck Rally stage.
- All members must be present and complete a W-9 per IRS guidelines to receive prizes. Individuals under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
TO CREATE A TEAM, the person designated as the team captain enters the team name during self-registration. (Decide on the name in advance to save time.)
- Team Captain has the option to require a password for others to join.
- It is suggested that the captain communicate with potential members that the team has been created and what the password is, if any.
TO JOIN A TEAM, you will search for and select the team name during self-registration.
POST-REGISTRATION TEAM FORMATION: Teams may be created after self-registration has occurred by logging into Active.com. Click on "My Events" and modify the existing COD 5K form with the steps listed above.
Additional Teams Information
- Day of registration (online only until 3 p.m.) will be available for new teams or additional team members.
- Teams may have a free professional photo taken on race day near the start line. The Flickr link will be emailed within one week of the event to Team Captains.
- Teams are limited to 15 people each. If larger than 15 members, a second team may be formed, but official times will be totaled separately.
- Only teams with at least three (3) registered members with official times will qualify. If less than three (3) registered members, individual scores will still apply for age group awards.
- Awards will be mailed to team members using addresses provided during online registration.
- Fastest Team winners will not qualify for Top Overall Male or Female.
- When: Between 3:30 and 4 p.m.
- Where: At the 5K start line on the football field
- Then what?: Photos will be emailed to the Team Captain within a week of the event.
- Those who register for the 5K before 3 p.m. on race day will receive a short-sleeved technical shirt in a bag with lots of goodies.
- We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE racers to pick up packets before race day to avoid congestion and lines during the short one hour that packet pickup will be open on Saturday, October 13 from 2 to 3 p.m.
- An individual may collect packets for others as long as they promise to not confuse bib numbers.
Pre-Race Day Packet Pickup
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that 5K participants pick up packets ahead of time to avoid lines and congestion on race day.
Packet Pickup Dates and Locations
- Monday, 10/8
- Chiro One (366 Army Trail Rd #330b, Bloomingdale)
- 5 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, 10/9
- Chrio One (2210 Camden Ct, Oak Brook)
- 5 to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, 10/10
- Naperville Running Company (102 W. Front St., downtown Wheaton)
4 to 7 p.m.
- Naperville Running Company (102 W. Front St., downtown Wheaton)
- Thursday, 10/11
- College of DuPage main campus- cafeteria (425 Fawell, Glen Ellyn- cafeteria)
- 12 to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, 10/11
- Naperville Running Company (34 W. Jefferson, downtown Naperville)
- 5 to 7 p.m.
Race Day Packet Pickup
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that 5K participants pick up their packets ahead of time to avoid lines and congestion on race day.
There will be five packet pick-up lines for pre-registered participants based on the first letter of last names.
- Packet Pickup stations will open at 2 p.m. and shut down at 3 p.m.
- Located in College Road, parking lot 1A (Registration HQ)
- Of course, we hope Mother Nature cooperates and gives us great weather. If that happens (and it will!), lines will be longer.
Just for fun, each 5K race finisher will receive a surprise gift from a smiling volunteer as the gracefully glide under the timing truss.
TIMING AND RESULTS
Preliminary timing results will only be posted at www.j3timing.com.
If you notice a discrepancy regarding your Time, Gender, or Age Group, notify the timing company immediately in person or at J3Timing@gmail.com by midnight on race day for it to be cleared up before the official results are posted the following day.
Official timing results will be available within 24 hours of the event at www.j3timing.com.
Age Group Winners: The top three male and female winners of each age group category will receive a fancy medal in their mailbox within two weeks of the event. Medals will not be available on race day just in case there are discrepancies with preliminary results.
Under 14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, and 70 & over
Age Group awards are based on chip time.
Overall awards are based on gun time.
Top Overall Winners: The top overall male and female finishers will each win a $100 Visa gift card at the Award Ceremony at 6 p.m.
"Middle of the Pack": This award is calculated after the final race participant crosses the finish line and will be the median time of the first and last finisher. This lucky duck will receive a $100 Visa gift card during the Award Ceremony! Stick around to find out if you've won!
- The Award Ceremony will take place on the Food Truck Rally stage at 6 p.m. The Top Overall Male and Female runners, the "Middle of the Pack" winner, and Fastest Team will be awarded.
- WINNERS MUST BE PRESENT and complete a W-9 per IRS guidelines to receive prizes.
- Individuals under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Ample free parking will be available on the north and south sides of campus, including Fawell Blvd. lots A, C, and D, and College Road, lots 1 and 2.
There will be plenty of volunteers and clear signage to direct you to the event from all parking areas.
Accessible parking is available on the north side College lot 1, but please note that anyone in that lot may not leave the premises for safety reasons while the 5K Run/Walk is occurring between approximately 4:15 and 6 p.m.
AID STATIONS AND COMFORT FACILITIES
There will be an aid station and water stop along the course to ensure happy and safe participants. Restrooms are located within the Physical Education Center (PEC), just north and west of the festivities.
- This event will proceed rain or shine.
- College of DuPage is a tobacco-free campus.
- All registration payments are final.
- No refunds will be processed unless a doctor's note specifically referencing a need to cancel registration for the College of DuPage Sunset 5K is submitted to COD5K@cod.edu by Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- If you need special accommodations for the 5K Run/Walk, please e-mail COD5K@cod.edu or call Ami Chambers, race co-director, at (630) 942-3823.
- For Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations, call (630) 942-2141 (voice) or (630) 858-9692 (TDD).
Keep up with us at www.facebook.com/didyousayfoodtrucks!
College of DuPage