Start your summer off right and join the Fort Collins Children's Triathlon/ Duathlon and Family Fun Run on Saturday, May 20, 2017.Why sign up? Because successful kids overcome obstacles and achieve their goals!
This event is an opportunity to get outside and get active with the whole family! We have events for all ages and a super fun pancake breakfast with music and raffle prizes after the race. This is not a competitive race, so just come on out and enjoy a beautiful morning with your family.
This is a great event for the new duathlete or triathlete as you can do the entire event with your child. To participate in the triathlon, children must be between 6 and 13 years old on race day. There is no age limit on the duathlon but we ask that you participate with the younger riders.
Challenge by Choice! Choose your level on race morning based on your child's abilities.
Again this year we are offering a combined category of duathlon/triathlon for those families who have children participating in both the triathlon and duathlon. You do need to specify who is participating in which race so we have accurate numbers but we do understand things change. If your child wants to switch from the triathlon to the duathlon, or from the duathlon to the triathlon, please email the race organizers at email@example.com to check to see if we have availablity to switch. This likely is not an issue but we need to make sure our numbers do not go too high in any one event.
*Please note. Due to changes in funding, free t-shirts are available only to our child participants ages 0-13. T-Shirts for participants 14 and up are available at a cost of $5. Please order any desired adult t-shirts when you register.
Please check out our event website to answer more of your questions. We hope to see you there!
Event details and scheduleFriday May 19, 2017
5:00-6:30 -- Spaghetti dinner & packet pick up (pre-registered duathletes and triathletes only)
5:30 -- pre-race meeting
Saturday May 20, 2017
7:00 am -- Transition, Packet Pick-Up, & Registration opens
8:00 am -- Pool opens for warming up
8:50 am -- Pool closes, swimmers line up
9:00 am -- First swimmers begin in waves
9:05 am -- Duathlon begins in waves
10:00 am -- Family Fun Run begins in waves
50 yard swim
1.75 mile bike
100 yard swim
3.5 mile bike
150 yard swim
3.5 miles bike
2K runWhere to Find Us
O'Dea Core Knowledge Elementary is located at 312 Princeton Road in the College Heights neighborhood near College and Drake in Fort Collins.
Parking will be in the neighborhood surrounding O'Dea.
If you choose to park on the street, please park outside of the race course to maintain course integrity and provide maximum safety for our triathletes.Packet Pick Up
Duathlon and triathlon packets will be available from 5:00 - 6:30 pm at O'Dea on Friday May 19th during the spaghetti dinner. The pre-race meeting will be held at 5:30 pm in the gym at O'Dea. The meeting is mandatory for first-time triathletes and is highly recommended for experienced triathletes.
There will be no packets for Fun Run participants. Fun Run participants will be able to pick up their shirts and race numbers during packet pick up on the morning of the race near the start line beginning at 7:00 am.
Before Race Day:
- Train, train, train (swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run, etc.).
- Do “brick” trainings where you do 2 components back to back (ie. Swim-bike, bike-run, swim-run, etc.).
- Make sure you have the right equipment.
- Make sure your clothing and shoes are broken in, comfortable, and ready to use.
- Have your bike checked to make sure it’s proper working order.
- Practice transitioning, especially from swim to bike. Participants are often dizzy coming out of the water and then trying to run, so practice getting out of the pool and running. Then practice getting right into bike clothes, shoes, and socks, grabbing some water, and hopping on the bike, all in less than 2 – 4 minutes.
- Run and ride the route. Make sure you and your child know where you’re going at all times.
- Focus on hydration in the 2-4 days leading up to the race. Drink lots and lots and lots of water so that your body is fully hydrated. This will help prevent cramps during the race.
Transition Set Up: (These are tips, not rules)
- Have a towel spread out to sit on.
- Put shoes (untied) on towel.
- Have socks on or near shoes, ready to put on.
- Have shorts and shirt ready to slip on.
- There is no stripping naked and putting on underwear in transition, nor is it time-effective to run to the bathroom to do that. Plan on completing the race in swimwear with clothing over if you choose.
- Have another towel ready to dry off.
- Have bike facing out so you can grab it and go.
- Place helmet on bike seat or handlebars—ALL RACERS MUST WEAR HELMETS!!!! You will not be permitted to leave transition without a proper helmet.
- Have a water bottle handy. You will want a little hydration before you set out on the bike.
- Make sure the water bottles on your bike are full and ready to go.
During the race:
- Walk your bike until the bike mounting zone (clearly marked with chalk on the road).
- Make sure you do not have any shoelaces dangling as they can get caught in pedals.
- Dismount in the dismount zone (clearly marked with chalk on the road).
- Follow lanes marked on the road.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Watch for cars. Race officials will do their best to keep you safe, but always double check. Ultimately you are the best person to keep yourself safe.
- Mind race officials. They may need to stop you for your safety. They’ll avoid stopping you if they possibly can, but be aware that they may need to stop you.
- Listen to your body. If you need to slow down, slow down. If you need to walk, walk. If you need a drink, get a drink. There are no prizes for top finishers, so finish healthy.
- Relax and have fun! Enjoy it!
After the race:
- Drink! Your body used up and lost lots of fluids. Rehydrate right away.
- Eat! There’s lots of great, healthy food for you. Good nutrition will aid your recovery, but overeating will make you sick. Eat smart!
- Stretch! Your muscles will thank you.
- Play! So many fun activities await you.
- Visit sponsors! They’ve got great giveaways and information for you.
- Relax and have fun! Enjoy it!
Contact us directly:
Fort Collins Children's Triathlon