Our feet carry us along mountain trails, take us on walks with our kids, help us beat our PRs, and get us through grueling workdays. But for as much as our feet do for us, we likely aren't paying them the attention they deserve. Enter Dr. Scholl's insole inserts, an easy way to upgrade your shoes—and give your feet a much-needed boost—based on your unique needs.
Not all shoes are created equal. There are running shoes specifically for long distances and athletic shoes primarily for women. You can even opt for memory foam shoes to help reduce pressure on your heels and arches. The beauty of Dr. Scholl's Insoles is that you can make almost any shoe work for you with a quick swap.
There's a reason Dr. Scholl's is still one of the most well-known insole brands today. The company knows a few things about insoles and arch support. Dr. William Mathias Scholl grew up learning from his grandfather, a shoemaker in Germany. In 1904, Scholl invented and patented his first arch support and founded the Dr. Scholl's company two years later. Over the following decades, Scholl combined his medical background and knowledge of shoes to develop innovative products that support your feet and therefore work to help your whole body.
Why Trust Us?
ACTIVE.com's editorial team relies on the knowledge and experience of fitness and wellness experts including competitive athletes, coaches, physical therapists, nutritionists, and certified trainers. This helps us ensure the products we feature are of the highest standard. Collectively, the team has spent countless hours researching equipment, gear, and recovery tools in order to create the most accurate, authentic content for our readers. Customer satisfaction is also a key part of our review process, which is why we only feature products that are highly rated. More importantly, each member of our team is a fitness enthusiast. Fitness may be our job, but it is also our passion. Therefore, we strive to bring you products that we trust and would personally use.
The Best Dr. Scholl's insoles - Our Top Picks
By clicking on the product links in this article, we may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full affiliate disclosure Here.
- Best Overall Dr. Scholl's Insoles: Dr Scholl's Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Running: Dr. Scholl’s Running Insoles
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Walking: Dr. Scholl's Fitness Walking Insoles
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Standing: Dr. Scholl's Work Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Flat Feet: Dr. Scholl's Extra Support Insoles
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Plantar Fasciitis Pain: Dr. Scholl's Plantar Fasciitis Pain Relief Orthotics
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Heel Pain: Dr. Scholl's Heel Pain Relief Orthotics
- Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Odor: Dr. Scholl's Ultracool Insoles
What to Look for When Shopping for Dr. Scholl's Insoles
To help narrow down which Dr. Scholl's insoles are best for you, here are a few things to consider:
Running, hiking, walking, and standing utilizes your feet differently, and your insoles should work with your personal needs. If you have plantar fasciitis, flat feet, or need more breathability, consider insoles that cater to those conditions. Whatever your purpose, insoles can also help your shoes last longer, so you can log more steps with your favorite kicks.
Your insoles shouldn’t slide around or be too thin or thick for your shoes. Dr. Scholl’s insoles can be trimmed down to fit inside your shoe and come in different lengths depending on the area you want to target. Heel length fits snug around the heel of the shoe, three-quarter goes from the heel to the ball of the foot, and full-length covers the entire shoe to provide support from heel to toe. Also, keep in mind some insoles are for men's or women's shoes, so you can choose which will fit you best.
All arches and heels are different. Choose a supportive insole that works with your arch type and provides the support and stability needed to prevent injuries. Dr. Scholl's insoles have differing volumes depending on the amount of support you require. High-volume insoles are made for hiking, skiing, or running and are best for those with high arches. Medium-volume insoles work with casual shoes and fit most arch types. Low-volume insoles work well with cycling shoes and are best for those with low arches.
Most of Dr. Scholl's insoles are made from gel or memory foam to provide padding and support. You can also find Dr. Scholl’s insoles made with activated charcoal for odor control.
Orthotics Versus Insoles
Insoles are a common term for the additional piece inside the shoe under your foot. Insoles can also be called footbeds. Insoles are typically separate from the shoe and removable, meaning they can be swapped out with other insoles to customize the fit of your shoe. Orthotics are traditionally medical devices prescribed by a professional (like a podiatrist) and are customized. It is also common to see the term "orthotics" used to describe an insole designed to help with a medical issue, such as plantar fasciitis. Dr. Scholl's offers insoles and orthotics designed to help with specific medical needs and conditions (without requiring a prescription).
Best Overall Dr. Scholl's Insoles - Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles
- Insole purpose: All day comfort and support
- Material: Gel
- Size: Men's sizes 8-14; women’s sizes 6-10
- Color: Blue and yellow
- Shoe fit: Works with most shoes, including work boots, casual shoes and sneakers
- Intended user: Those who experience foot and leg fatigue and discomfort
- Key features: Helps reduce muscle fatigue in feet and legs so you can stay on your feet longer
Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Advanced insoles are a well-rounded product that works well for those who need a little extra support for the long haul. These insoles earn their "Best Overall" stripes because they have your foot covered from heel to toe, providing comfort for the four main areas of the foot—forefoot, midsole, arch, and heel. They work by helping to reduce muscle fatigue, so you can stay on your feet longer and have a little more pep in your step.
Tired feet can impact your entire body (and your mood). If your job has you spending all day on your feet (or if you're planning to explore a new city on foot), you'll appreciate the soft gel waves built into these insoles that provide extra cushion for aching feet. The massaging gel and support layers also help mitigate back, hip, and leg pain.
These full-length, medium-volume insoles provide medium arch support and fit into most shoe types (namely athletic, casual, and work boots). Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles also have a slim profile, meaning you can layer them over existing insoles for added comfort.
- Helps reduce foot and leg fatigue
- Provides comfort and support for the entire foot
- Fits with most shoe styles
- The insoles are not very breathable, so some may find them hot
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Running - Dr. Scholl's Running Insoles
- Insole purpose: Prevent common running injuries
- Material: Foam
- Size: Men's sizes 10.5-14; Women’s sizes 5.5-9
- Color: Red, green, and gray
- Shoe fit: Best for athletic shoes
- Intended user: Runners
- Key features: Shock absorbent and cushioned to help with runner’s knee, shin splints, and plantar fasciitis
Whether you're pounding the pavement or weaving through trails, your trusty running shoes can take a beating—and so can your feet. Dr. Scholl's Running Insoles are voted best for runners because of the Triple Zone Protection that reduces shock by 40-percent, and an anti-odor treatment helps reduce foot odor. Some insoles can feel heavier and hotter, which is not ideal for regular running. But Dr. Scholl's Running Insoles are light and breathable while still providing stability and support for everything from long runs to interval training.
Dr. Scholl's insoles are also more affordable than replacing your running shoes frequently. The insoles that come with running shoes can be thin and wear out quickly, but if replaced with Dr. Scholl's insoles, your shoes will be more enjoyable to wear, and they will help you get more mileage out of your favorite trainers.
These full-length, high-volume insoles are compatible with most running shoe styles. They also work well for HIIT workouts to cushion landings in plyometric moves and help you jump into action for those unexpected sprint drills.
- Reinforced arch for extra support
- Anti-odor treatment to help reduce foot odor
- Deep heel cup to absorb impact
- Front foot cushion
- Rubberized bottom keeps the insoles in place
- Insoles are a bit thick, so make sure your shoe is deep enough to accommodate
- May feel a little discomfort when breaking in the insoles
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Walking - Dr. Scholl's Fitness Walking Insoles
- Insole purpose: Helps reduce muscle fatigue in feet and legs
- Material: Foam
- Size: Men’s sizes 8-14; Women’s sizes 6-10
- Color: Green and purple
- Shoe fit: Casual shoes or athletic sneakers
- Intended user: Walkers
- Key features: Slim design works with a variety of shoes; stimulating nodes to reduce impact
Dr. Scholl's Fitness Walking Insoles are a walker's BFF because these insoles reduce strain on your back and joints. They also help relieve and reduce muscle fatigue by taking the pressure off your feet.
Foam padding helps distribute weight with each step and reduces shock by 30% (slightly less than the 40-percent shock reduction in Dr. Scholl's Running Insoles). Massaging nodes are built into the heels and balls of the feet to deliver targeted comfort while logging your steps.
These full-length, medium-volume insoles provide medium arch support. They have some cushioning but are still flexible enough not to slow your stride. The slim profile also works well with various shoe types.
While made for extended walking sessions, you can also wear Dr. Scholl's Fitness Walking Insoles for daily activities like errands, mall walks, or chasing the kids around the park.
- Targeted support to help relieve and reduce muscle fatigue
- Distributes weight evenly to prevent back and joint pain
- Flexible arch allows for easy movement through your stride
- The stimulating nodes could take some adjusting if you’re not used to a massaging sensation
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Standing - Dr. Scholl's Work Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles
- Insole purpose: Helps reduce foot and leg fatigue
- Material: Rubber
- Size: Men’s sizes 8-14; Women’s sizes 6-10
- Color: Blue and black
- Shoe fit: Best for casual shoes, sneakers, and work boots
- Intended user: Those who spend a lot of time on their feet
- Key features: Multi-layer gel designed to withstand hours of compression without collapsing
Steady weight on your insoles means you need something that will hold up and not collapse with prolonged wear. So, if you're constantly on your feet, the Dr. Scholl's Work Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles are built to work overtime. The multiple layers of massaging gel hold up under pressure and offer all-day protection from foot and leg fatigue on hard surfaces, and the built-in shock absorption helps you stay focused and energized while you put in your hours.
These full-length, medium-volume insoles provide contoured support for overworked arches, and extra cushioning on the forefoot adds protection to the ball of the foot. The Dr. Scholl's Work Massaging Gel Advanced Insoles can also be worn on hard surfaces, like concrete, for long periods. Lastly, these insoles fit most shoe types and have small perforations to help feet stay cool and dry in demanding environments.
- Durably constructed to hold up under pressure
- Reinforced, contoured arch support is sturdy but flexible
- Built-in cooling vents to keep feet cool and dry
- Multilayer massaging gel provides shock absorption to reduce foot and leg fatigue
- It can be tricky to cut through the insoles to fit your shoe size
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Flat Feet - Dr. Scholl's Extra Support Insoles
- Insole purpose: Reduce discomfort for those with flat feet or fallen arches
- Material: Foam
- Size: Men's sizes 8-14; Women's sizes 6-11
- Color: Blue and orange
- Shoe fit: Casual shoes, sneakers, work boots
- Intended user: Those experiencing discomfort due to flat feet
- Key features: Reinforced heel and arch support
Several factors contribute to flat feet, which can be extremely painful and uncomfortable for those who experience this condition. Those with flat feet experience pain that can start in the foot and radiate to the leg, knee, and back. Dr. Scholl’s Extra Support Insoles are the best insoles for flat feet because they offer extra comfort to achy feet and make movement more manageable. These insoles help alleviate some of the pain that can spring up in other parts of the body by evenly distributing body weight and therefore helping to reduce foot pressure. The flexible material in Dr. Scholl's Extra Support Insoles means these insoles will work with your natural stride.
These full-length, medium-volume insoles have medium arch support and reinforced heel support that will cradle your foot with ease. You can pop them into your favorite shoes for all-day comfort and support thanks to the layers of massaging gel waves that provide cushion and comfort for the long haul.
Unlike some insoles targeted for certain activities, Dr. Scholl's Extra Support Insoles can be worn all day to help tired, achy feet without missing a beat. Slip them into work shoes for your morning walk to work, swap out your work boot insoles for some more energy on the job site, or take on the college campus with insoles that can take a beating. Whatever your purpose, these insoles will meet you where you’re at and help you keep discomfort at bay.
- Helps reduce pain for those with flat feet
- Flexible arch support holds foot in place without being too rigid
- Full-length insole has you covered from heel to toe
- It can be tricky to cut through the insoles to fit your shoe size
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Plantar Fasciitis Pain - Dr. Scholl's Plantar Fasciitis Pain Relief Orthotics
- Insole purpose: Combat inflammation and pain in the heel associated with plantar fasciitis
- Material: Memory foam
- Size: Men's sizes 8-13; Women's sizes 6-10
- Color: Blue
- Shoe fit: Most casual or athletic shoes or boots
- Intended user: Those who suffer from plantar fasciitis
- Key features: Shock absorbing cushion and reinforced arch support
If you're a long-distance runner or spend a lot of time on your feet, you may experience intense pain at the bottom of your foot, near your heel. Plantar fasciitis is a common condition where the tissue that runs from your heel bone to your toes (called the plantar fascia) becomes inflamed. When the plantar fascia is stressed or overstretched, every step can send a sharp pain to your heels.
Dr. Scholl's Plantar Fasciitis Pain Relief Orthotics are designed with a reinforced high arch support to stabilize the plantar fascia. The gel cushioning acts as a shock absorber, adding protection to the heel and supporting your feet during daily activities. Not only do the insoles help relieve the pain, they help prevent the plantar fascia from overstretching so it can repair itself.
The full-length, high-volume insoles distribute weight away from your heel to reduce the pressure and impact in each step. Dr. Scholl's Plantar Fasciitis Pain Relief Orthotics can be worn all day and are compatible with most any shoe style. They are also fairly thin in the forefoot, so you can place them over existing insoles to help add a little extra support.
- Reinforced arch to stabilize the plantar fascia
- Help prevent the plantar fascia from overstretching
- Full-length insole distributes weight away from the heel
- Shock absorbing reduces pain in the heel area
- Insoles run narrow, so those with wide feet may find they don’t have enough coverage
- Material on the top of the insole is prone to wearing out faster than other insoles, so you may have to replace more frequently
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Heel Pain - Dr. Scholl's Heel Pain Relief Orthotics
- Insole purpose: Provide all-day relief of pain related to plantar fasciitis, heel spurs and general heel aggravation
- Material: Foam
- Size: Men's sizes 8-12; Women's sizes 5-12
- Color: Blue and purple
- Shoe fit: Fits most shoe sizes and styles
- Intended user: Those who experience heel pain, including plantar fasciitis and heel spurs
- Key features: Supportive heel cup and shock absorbing to protect from impact
Heel pain can result from several conditions, including plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. Dr. Scholl's Heel Pain Relief Orthotics are an excellent option for heel pain because the shock-absorbing technology protects heels from impact, helping you feel less pain and pressure with each step.
Although not custom-made, these orthotics are an affordable option to provide some relief from general heel aggravation. The supportive heel cup works with the heel's natural padding, providing relief from inflammation and reducing pressure on the pain points around your heel and foot. The arch support is sturdy yet flexible to help alleviate pain and prevent jarring as you walk or run. They are also substantial enough that they won't go flat under the pressure of standing for long hours.
Since these three-quarter length insoles don’t fully extend the length of the shoe, you may be able to slip these insoles into your shoes without having to trim them. Due to their thin and flexible profile, Dr. Scholl’s Heel Pain Relief Orthotics can fit most shoe types. They’re also comfortable enough to wear for activities like running and strength training when your heels need a little extra protection.
- Supportive heel cup helps to absorb shock
- Sturdy but flexible arch support to reduce pressure on the heel and foot
- More affordable than custom orthotics for heel aggravation
- Texture of material on the top of the insole can be a bit grippy
Best Dr. Scholl's Insoles for Odor - Dr. Scholl's Ultracool Insoles
- Insole purpose: Reduce odor caused by sweat and moisture
- Material: Comfort insole
- Size: Men's sizes 8-13; Women's sizes
- Color: Blue
- Shoe fit: Casual shoes, athletic shoes and boots
- Intended user: Those who need odor control for their shoes
- Key features: Ultracool technology helps feet stay dry and fresh
Dr. Scholl's Ultracool Insoles help with odor control because they are a triple threat —specially designed to keep feet cool, comfortable, and odor-free. The secret weapon is the mini ventilation system on the bottoms of the insoles that promote airflow. Pair that with the activated charcoal and baking soda that team up to fight stinky feet, and you have a set of insoles that are ready to keep you feeling fresh.
Foot odor typically comes from moisture build-up in your shoes (especially on those long runs and extra sweaty cycling sessions). Dr. Scholl's Ultracool Insoles help reduce that moisture by wicking it away and keeping feet from sitting in stagnant sweat.
These full-length, medium-volume insoles are cushioned and comfy, but weren’t made for shock absorption or heavy-duty arch support. The main benefit here is keeping your feet dry and fresh. Dr. Scholl's Ultracool Insoles can be used with many shoes—from tennis shoes to work boots—and are thin enough to fit on top of your existing insoles for added support.
- Absorbs moisture to keep feet and shoes dry
- Activated charcoal and baking soda fight odor
- Honeycomb ventilation system promotes airflow
- Medium cushioning for comfort
- The light support may not be best for those needing shock absorption or extra arch support
FAQs About Dr. Scholl's insoles
Are Dr. Scholl’s insoles good for your feet?
Dr. Scholl's Insoles can be a great tool to help you perform better and prevent injuries. Insoles can add support to your shoes to give you a little extra cushion and support to help with everything from stride and posture to high arches and heel pain. Dr. Scholl’s Insoles can also help customize your shoes to work with the mechanics of your feet and easily swap out as your needs shift and evolve.
How do I know what Dr. Scholl’s insoles I need?
Pair your Dr. School’s Insoles with the activity and condition you need to support the most. In addition to insoles designed for running, walking, or being on your feet for long periods, Dr. Scholl’s offers insoles for more targeted conditions such as plantar fasciitis, flat feet, heel pain, and odor control.
How long do Dr. Scholl’s insoles last?
The lifespan of Dr. Scholl's Insoles can depend on the style of the insole, the structure of your foot, and the number of miles you put on them. Most Dr. Scholl’s Insoles will last about six months with regular use. Consider replacing your insoles at the first sign of wear to ensure you continue to get the proper fit and support, as these things will change as the insoles begin to wear down.