Alpha Race For Scholarships 5K Fun Run/WalkApril 16, 2016 Burke Lake Park Shelter A 7315 Ox Road Fairfax Station, VA 22039 View Map Organized by Alpha Phi Alpha Xi Alpha Lambda Chapter - Ira Dorsey Scholarship Endowment Fund, Inc.
Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Burke Lake Park Shelter A7315 Ox Road Fairfax Station, VA 22039
The Ira Dorsey Scholarship Endowment Fund, Inc. (IDSEF) of the Xi Alpha Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., is a non-profit that holds events and programs throughout the year to raise funds to distribute scholarships to deserving college-bound students. In 2015, the IDSEF awarded $12,000 in scholarships. Funds that are raised from the Alpha Race for Scholarships – 5K Fun Run/Walk will benefit our scholarship program. The IDSEF is a 501(c)(3) organization. For additional questions or if you have an interest in supporting IDSEF they can be made here:
Ira Dorsey Scholarship Endowment Fund, Inc.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Xi Alpha Lambda Chapter
P.O. Box 10371
Alexandria, VA 22315
or online donations can be made here: http://idsef.apaxal.com/get-involved/donate/
Co-sponsoring the race this year is the Manassas-Woodbridge Chapter of Jack and Jill of America. For more information about this chapter see https://www.facebook.com/Jack-and-Jill-of-America-Inc-Manassas-Woodbridge-Chapter-1457786597816251/?fref=ts There will be a chance to donate blood for those coming to support the race. VA Blood Services http://www.vablood.org will be onsite with their donation van to accept donations the morning of the race from 8 am-12 pm. You must be 18 or older to donate (16 or 17 with parental permission), 110 lbs, and in good health. The entire process takes less than one hour.
Event details and schedule
Alpha “Race for Scholarships” 5K
The race is on! You’re invited to join runners and walkers from around the greater Washington D.C. area on Saturday, April 16, 2016, at Burke Lake Park (Shelter A), 7315 Ox Road, Fairfax Station, VA 22039 for an exciting 5K fun run/walk. The scenic course features the beautiful shoreline of Burke Lake, a staple for fishing in Northern Virginia.
The race begins at 8:15 a.m. and registration is $35 per runner/walker. No refunds will be issued. Online registration by Saturday, April 2, 2016 is highly encouraged! Registration is limited to 150 runners
Packet Pick-up (Friday, April 15, 2016)
Packet pickup will be located at Metro Run & Walk located in Springfield, VA at
7261 Commerce St
Springfield VA 22150-3411
from 4 - 7:30 p.m.
Limited raceday packet pickup will be available from 6:30 - 7:30 a.m. Saturday, April 16, 2015.
The Day of the 5K
- The race begins at 8:15 a.m.
- Runners and walkers should plan to arrive by 7:30 a.m. for race instructions, course overview, warm-up and packet pickup. Bibs should be completely visible on the front side of your torso.
- Limited onsite registration begins at 6:30 a.m. at the park at Shelter A. Only cash or checks will be accepted the day of the event. Event registration is capped at 150 runners.
- All participants who register online by 4/2/16 will receive an event T-shirt. We cannot guarantee shirts or shirt sizes for those who register after April 2, 2016, so register early!
- Water will be available along the course and refreshments and snacks will be available at the finish line.
- The event is family friendly and the 5K will take place on a paved road within the park.
- There will be a free half mile fun run for toddlers (age 2-6) and parents that starts at 820. Parents must race/walk with their child.
- Strollers and wheelchairs are permissible.
- Restrooms are located next to Shelter A.
- The race begins adjacent to Shelter A. The course is relatively flat with a few rolling hills to keep it interesting.
- The entire course will be run on paved roads.
- Prizes and Post Race Activities Medals will be awarded to the top 3 male finishers and the top 3 female finishers.
- We will hold the awards ceremony at Shelter A beginning at 9:30 a.m. Please stay after the race for snacks and refreshments.