The Big ChillDecember 07, 2019 Emporia 618 Commercial Street Emporia, KS 66801 View Map Organized by Communities In Schools of Mid-America
Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Emporia618 Commercial Street Emporia, KS 66801
Welcome to The Big Chill, an annual fundraising event benefitting Communities In Schools of Mid-America. This event features Emporia's ONLY half-marathon, as well as a 5K and a 10K route. Taking place the first Saturday in December, this event is the last in the Emporia Super Series and provides runners with the additional challenge of winter weather. Hate running in the heat? Then this is the race for you.
Runners are welcomed by a Finish Line Party, which includes large, outdoor tents with propane heaters, music by KISS 103.1, activities for kids, food vendors, and a beer garden. The Finish Line Party is open to the public, so grab your noise-makers and help us cheer on the runners as they cross the finish line!
For more information on Communities In Schools of Mid-America, please visit our website at www.cismidamerica.org.
Event details and schedule
The Big Chill 5K, 10K, and Half-Marathon takes place on a semi-challenging course through Emporia. The course takes runners past three Emporia schools currently hosting the CIS of Mid-America program: Logan Avenue Elementary, Walnut Elementary, and William Allen White Elementary School, before ending back at the starting line, which is located at 618 Commercial Street. During the course, runners will enjoy the beautiful scenery of downtown Emporia. Additionally, runners on the 10K and half-marathon routes will go through ESU and the country club district. View course map in gallery below.
- 7:15AM - Day of Packet Pick-Up/Registration Begins
- 7:45AM - Day of Registration Ends
- 7:50AM - Line Up
- 8:00AM - Race begins for all runners & Finish Line Party Begins
- 8:45AM - 5K Top Finishers Awards Ceremony^
- 9:30AM - 10K Top Finishers Awards Ceremony^
- 10:15AM - Half-Marathon Top Finishers Awards Ceremony^
- 12:00PM - Cut Off Time for all Runners & Finish Line Party ends
^Awards Ceremony times will be adjusted if necessary.
- Packets can be picked up on Friday, December 6 between the hours of 8AM-6PM.
- Packets can also be picked up on Saturday, Dec 7 starting at 7:00AM at the CIS of Mid-America office in Emporia, located at 618 Commercial Street.
- Packet pick up ends at 7:45AM on Saturday, Dec 7.
- Group packet pick-up is available.
- Course route and bib with chip will be included in packet. Please wear bib on front of clothing.
Medals will be given to the top three male and top three female finishers of each race (5K, 10K, and 13.1 miles). Additionally, all finishers of the half-marathon will receive a finishers medal.
- Finish Line Party (more information below).
- Customized bib, featuring The Big Chill logo.
- Custom medals for top three male and top three female runners of each race, as well as all finishers of the half-marathon.
- The Big Chill logo'd multi-use tubular wrap (sometimes called a buff) included in each packet. This item can be used as a headband, scarf, towel, face mask, etc.
- Nutrition & med kits at each water station (sponsored by Gu).
- Professional Photos both on the course and at the finish line.
- The Big Chill Beanie! We heard you loud and clear last year, so this year all runners will have the option to grab one of our signature red The Big Chill Beanies during registration. Act fast, because the beanies are only available until November 1st!
GOOD TO KNOW
- The race start, end, and Finish Line Party will take place in the parking lot behind 618 Commercial Street.
- All races are electronically chip timed.
- Free parking is available; however, the back parking lot of 618 Commercial will be closed for the Finish Line Party.
- Please wear clothing appropriate for the weather.
- Water stations, nutrition, and bathrooms are available throughout the course.
FINISH LINE PARTY
Join us, starting at 8AM for an amazing Finish Line Party. Held in the parking lot behind 618 Commercial Street, you can find us under the big white tents, keeping warm with propane heaters. Music will be playing, thanks to KISS 103.1. Activities for the kids, food vendors, and a beer garden keep the whole family happy while we welcome runners across the finish line.