Open water swim skills in the pool: Transition from the pool to open water
Triathletes have a unique challenge when it comes to the swim: most races happen in open water, but training happens mostly in the pool. Coach Melissa Mantak, former ITU World Cup Champion, USAT National Coach of the Year and USAT National Development Coach, brings decades of experience to helping you reach your goals. I took my swim coaching skills to a new level working with potential Olympians on the National Development Team, teaching fast runners to be fast swimmers. This experience coupled with working as the official Tri for the Cure coach for 10 years, I dialed in the best techniques for coaching triathletes, just like you.
Who this clinic is for:
- All experience levels (must be able to swim 400 non-stop freestyle in the pool)
- Have some or no experience in triathlon
- Want to make positive, lasting improvements to your swim
- Want to practice, improve and train open water skills in the pool
- Be ready to conquer the open water in training and racing!
Skills and techniques you will learn:
- 50 meter pool set up with no lane lines using whole pool
- Sighting buoys in the pool
- Navigation and sighting skills
- Drafting in the water
- Swimming in groups
- Buoy skills
- Sprinting & variable speed training
- Grow your confidence and fitness in the open water
- Perform on race day
- Managing fear and panic in open water
- Perform in the open water
- Grow your confidence and competence in the swim
- Stay healthy and avoid injury
- Increase motivation to swim
- Learn the benefits of underwater filming
Because I’m committed to your continued success, you will receive 8 customized swim workouts to grow the improvements you make during the clinic. Walk away with a plan to get your swim ready for open water training and racing.
Attendees must be able to swim 400 yards or meters freestyle non-stop, any speed.
Event details and schedule
When: Sunday, May 7, 2-4 pm
Where: Coors Fitness Center @ The University of Denver, 2201 E. Asbury Ave, Denver, CO 80210
Plan to arrive 10 minutes early. Leave an extra 10 minutes for parking and walking to the pool.
What to bring: swim suit, goggles, cap, towel, any swim gear you have (fins, paddles, snorkel, etc)
The Empowered Athlete, LLC