Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Endicott Estate656 East Street Dedham, MA 02026
KIDS RUN CANCELLED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
**NEW--Bib Pickup and Onsite Registration today - Wednesday 11/21 from 12:30 to 2:00 pm at the Endicott Estate 656 East Street in Dedham(come to the white tent) Feel free to send a friend or family member to pickup to avoid lines on Thursday.
As you know, we have been advised that this Thanksgiving Day will likely be the coldest ever recorded in the Boston area. There is nothing more important to us than the safety of our participants. Our biggest concern is the possibility of frostbite on cold weather days.
Please be sure to dress for the weather and to use your best judgement regarding your participation. (We have included a few cold weather running tips below for your convenience)
We have reviewed various options and unfortunately due to the many logistics invoived with this event we are unable to postpone to a later date. With that in mind we have made a few modifications:
- Runners and walkers only, We strongly recommend no strollers or dogs.
- No Water Stops as the temps would cause freezing, we will not have a water stop on the 5K course.
- If you think you’ll need water during the 5k, we suggest you bring your own. We will have water at the finishline.
We will post race updates on our Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/dedhamturkeytrot
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
7:00 am - Bib Pickup and Onsite Registration
8:00 am - KIDS RUN
8:30 am - 5K Race and Walk
We will have coffee and hot chocolate on race morning and we suggest perhaps staying warm in your vehicle once you have your Bib until 8:15am. The race will begin promptly at 8:30 am.
Cold Weather Running Tips:
- Warm-up: Warming up the muscles is particularly important in cold weather. Never go out at race pace. Start slowly until the body feels ready to pick up the pace. Understand that your body needs to warm up just like your car in the morning.
- A significant amount of body heat can be lost through the head if uncovered. Keeping your head covered will help keep body heat and circulation directed to areas where it is really needed. The best material for your hat is wool or a synthetic material that will wick away moisture. It is important to protect all areas from exposure, including your ears, which be adversely effected in windy conditions.
- As for your upper body, at least three layers should be worn in the temperature ranges expected on Thursday. The upper torso should start with a synthetic long sleeved shirt or two or some other middle layer (fleece) and a wind breaker over layer.
- To protect your hands, many glove options exist. Just make sure you utilize some type of synthetic gloves to insulate your hands. We would recommend lined gloves, or a double pair with under poly pro, down mittens, or Gore-Tex mittens. Keep in mind that wool is not a great option for your hands. Hand warmers are a great idea.
- Your legs will need nylon tights or some type of sweat pants. Here again, two layers are best. We strongly urge not running in shorts and recommend covering all exposed skin surfaces.
- Socks: You might consider wearing 2 pairs of socks. Make certain that you choose wicking material for the socks. The inner layer should be a thin layer of nylon, or a wool type material. Stay away from cotton.
On race morning try to find a warm location prior to the start of the race and then make sure you are not hanging around the finish for a prolonged period of time. Once you finished, find your friends and family, pick up your Table Talk Pies and head home for a great time with your families.
We thank you for your belief in the power of community, funds raised support the Dedham Food Pantry, Dedham Youth Commission and local Ripples of Hope initiatives.
Family Gratitude 5K Turkey Trot
Event details and schedule
FAMILY GRATITUDE - 5K TURKEY TROT
Endicott Estate, 656 East Street, Dedham MA (White Tent)
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
7:00 am Bib Number Pickup and Onsite Registration Opens
8:30 am 5K Race or Walk
Endicott Estate, 656 East Street, Dedham, MA
Proceeds from race benefit the Dedham Food Pantry and local Ripples of Hope community based service initiatives.
Bring a bag of non-perishable food to be sorted on race day morning!