The St. Croix Coral Reef Swim attracts fitness swimmers competing for fun, as well as world-class open water athletes. Swimmers as young as 11 years old and as senior as 75 years old are among the race contestants. The 2018 23rd anniversary Coral Reef Swim is November 11, 2018.
The event includes a one mile, two-mile and a five-mile race through turquoise water and colorful coral reefs, both ending at The Buccaneer’s palm-lined beach where a steel band and refreshments await. The one-mile and the two-mile race follow the shoreline of St. Croix’s east end, and the five-mile race begins at Buck Island, a living coral reef designated an underwater park by the U.S. National Park Service. With three distances to choose from, the Coral Reef Swims offer an experience for all level of swimmers
Event details and schedule
Tentative Race Day Schedule
- Five Mile Swimmers — Race Marking: 6:00 AM taxis leave The Buccaneer to head to Green Cay for Marking. FIVE MILE SWIMMERS ONLY!! Make sure to bring your ChampionChip and band as well as your goggles and anything else you might need before the race starts. Don’t forget your Taxi ticket! Swimmers arriving at Green Cay on their own must be there at 6:15 AM.
- Bring a bag, if you wish, (no plastic please!) for items you will leave behind on the boat. The bags will be dropped at the entrance to the Mermaid Restaurant.
- Five Mile Race Start from Buck Island: 7:30 AM
- Two Milers meet on The Mermaid Beach for Race Marking — 7:45 AM: Bring your ChampionChip and band as well as your goggles!! Be on time so you don’t miss the race. Taxi’s will leave the Mermaid Restaurant to take swimmers to Pull Point for the start.
- Two mile race begins from Pull Point at approx. 8:15 a.m.
- One Mile Swimmers meet for Race Marking — 8:45 @ The Mermaid Restaurant: Bring your ChampionChip and band as well as your goggles! Be on time so you don’t miss the race. Taxi’s will leave the Mermaid Restaurant to swimmers to Shoys Beach for the start.
- Swimmers begin finishing the races: 9 AM Family and Friends gather at the Mermaid to cheer swimmers through the finish line as they listen to Caribbean sounds. The Mermaid Bar will be open for drinks.
- One Mile Race begins from Shoys Beach at approx. 9:15 a.m.
- Awards Lunch Begins at The Terrace: 11:45 AM Remember to bring your lunch tickets!
- Awards Ceremony Begins: 12:45 PM
**Schedule subject to change. Exact schedule will be posted/emailed the week before the race.
Coral Reef Swim Race