Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Zwartkop High School1 Mopanie Road Zwartkop Centurion, ZA, South Africa 0157
The Wally Hayward Marathon is a tribute to one of South Africa’s greatest ever athletes that has been a fixture on the road running calendar for the past 39 years - run on Workers Day.
The Wally was first run on 30 June 1977 over 42.2 km, starting & finishing at Hoërskool Verwoerdburg. A 21.1 km, 10 km, 5km fun run and a 1 Km kiddies run were later added. Since 2005, the Wally has started and finished at Hoërskool Zwartkop, in Centurion.
For the past few years, the kiddie’s 1 km race has been held to raise funds for SPCA, Tshwane.
According to Runner’s World magazine, the Wally is the third largest marathon in South Africa. Approximately 9 500 athletes participated in 2015 and 10 000 or more are expected in 2016. (Race entries have increased by an average of 30% during 2014, so, this is a conservative estimate).
Event details and schedule
- Start Times:
- 42.2km - 6:30
- 21.1km - 6:30
- 10km - 6:45
- 4.9km - 7:00
- 1km - 9:00
- Entry fees
- The entry fees (per distance) will be the same, irrespective of your entry method i.e. online, at the shops or at a race, with no additional processing fees for online entries.
- R160 for the full marathon (plus R30 for a Temporary License if you are not a member of a running club and were issued with an ASA License).
- R120 for the half marathon (plus R30 for a Temporary License if you are not a member of a running club and were issued with an ASA License).
- R90 for the 10km run (plus R30 for a Temporary License if you are not a member of a running club and were issued with an ASA License).
- R40 for the 4.9km fun run.
- R20 for the 1km kiddies run.
- Special 40th Anniversary T-shirts
- A limited amount of “High Quality, Exclusive 40th Anniversary (Special Edition), Moisture Management, T-Shirts” will be on sale at a fraction of the normal retail price, thanks to our generous sponsors. Note that all proceeds of the T-shirt sales will be donated to our selected charity organisations. There are two options i.e. Short or Long Sleeve shirts.
- A special 40th edition GOLD medal will be awarded to each finisher of the 10km, 21.1km and 42.2km event, within the cutoff time.
- Official "Wally" merchandise shop
- A special 40th anniversary "Wally" merchandise shop will be available at the race venue on Sunday 1 May 2016 from 10h00 - 16h00, as well as on race day (Monday 2 May 2016) from 05h00 to 12h00.
- Number Collection (Pre-Entries)
- Pre-entry packs can be collected at the race venue on Sunday 1 May 2016 between 10h00 - 16h00, as well as on race day (Monday 2 May 2016) from 05h00 to 06h30.